1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do you hear readers 1:1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by delma, Dec 31, 2015.

1. delma

delma New commenter

Exactly that! The day is so jam packed with things to do, when do you get the chance to hear your readers?
    Your suggestions welcomed.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not been with that age range for a while but certainly we spent most break and lunchtimes hearing readers- especially those who needed time and quiet.
    Do you have access to a TA or adult helper? I know I was a volunteer at the local primary to hear readers when my own children were small.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It depends what year group you're in. I'm in Year R and we try to hear each child read at least twice a week 1:1. Previously I've been in Year 6 where it only happened with less-confident/fluent readers and Year 3 where I heard all but my top readers once each week.

That said, there are always opportunities to hear children read; get them to read from the board, or read that day's lunch menu, or read what they/their partner has just written in a lesson.

4. Lara mfl 05

Remembering back when I started teaching it was expected that we heard every child read every day! Individually too! Right up until year 3 when we did tend to have 2 readers at a time, one confident one just needing an occasional prompt and one needing much more support. (One on each side and one attuned one's ears accordingly) That was in addition to reading round the class reading and all the othere opprotunities one had during topic work.
    Makes one realise how much more pressure teachers have these days and no wonder reading standards are sometimes a worry.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Yep, it's a very sad fact that there are too many hoops for teachers and TAs to jump through that simply listening to a child read 1:1 doesn't happen every day. However, in our class it is at least twice a week; we try our best to make time lots more than that, especially for those children we don't believe get much chance at home.

One of the joys I have previously done in a KS2 class was 'shared reading', where we had lots of copies of the same book and the children took it in turns to read aloud whilst sharing a book to follow along with their partner... It was wonderful to hear them reading aloud to each other and they really loved the book, too.

delma likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on the year group and kind of school you are in whether it is even valuable or not. Guided and shared reading is often a better learning time.

Parents do like to see something in the reading diary, but a comment from a guided reading session satisfies almost all. If you do that and a TA does an individual read, that will probably be enough.

Last term, in a school where 'hearing children read' is more usual than guided or shared reading, children had a day a week where they came in early to read. Both they and parents knew which day and so arrived early to read, well most of them did.

7. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

In my Year 3 class we have a 30 minute guided reading slot every day, within this slot we have a carousel of activities. The children are divided into 5 ability groups and rotate through the activities, one activity per day. Last term the activities were: Guided/Group Reading with the TA; Individual reading with myself using their reading scheme books; Free choice Non-Fiction reading - the children select a book from our class shelves to independently read; Comprehension Apps on the ipads; and lastly Word Work which involves the children identifying our Wow Words of the week, locating them in a dictionary, finding synonyms and using them in a sentence. All activities are expected to be completed in silence, unless working with an adult or whispering to collaborate during Word Work.

Unfortunately I do not have any parent helpers this year, the children who need extra support with their reading are heard by either myself or my TA during Morning Work (the first 15 minutes of the day) or during Tues-Thurs Assemblies (last 20 minutes of the day). I split this extra time between 8 children, with some getting just one extra session and others getting 2 or 3 extra sessions, depending upon their needs.

I hope this makes sense, my brain is still in holiday mode!

delma and Kartoshka like this.
  8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I am working with the same age group and struggle with hearing individual readers. It's not too bad once they are a bit more confident, but for the beginner readers, it seems to take so long to read even a few pages of a book. By the time they've looked at and talked about the picture, sounded out the words, got distracted by something in the picture, sounded out the rest of the words, re-read the whole sentence and I've checked for comprehension, 10 minutes can have passed, and that's just two pages! How do you do it, @Sillow ? How much of the book do they read to you?

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Not much, @Kartoshka ! As you say it can take a while to hear anything. But each day I will take five/six children and my TA will have different ones and we'll hear them read. I will hear them read from a levelled book, during our set reading time, even if it's just a page. My TA will do the same. Then my TA will try and catch up with those who don't read so much at home again in the week. For me, it's just about hearing them try to use their phonics and blend and then praising their efforts rather than forcing them to get through a whole book or anything. I want them to enjoy reading!

Kartoshka and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

I agree with above posters.
    'Reading' can take many forms. For Early years just 2 pages but lots of vocabulary use talking about picture clues etc would, imo, still count as reading. Something I'm often heard to say to parents, it's not just about reading printed words on a page and 'getting through the book', but so much more.

With some children talking/ discussing/ predicting / observing et al . . . on just 1-2 pages is more valuable than a child just 'barking at print' without any understanding of content.

Plus much more likely to engender a love of reading.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Totally agree. And so much more pleasurable for both teacher and pupil!
    Guided and group reading is fun, educational, worthwhile, etc, etc.

Like Isobeleh I'm doing GR next term, instead of the 1:1 in the mornings. We will only have one 35 min session a week, but we have small classes. In a fortnight children will read with one of two adults twice, do a levelled comprehension and have free reading time in the reading corner.

12. delma

delma New commenter

Thanks for your replies. Sorry, should have said. I'm in Year 2. I already try to encourage the children to read at any opportunity. Read the WALT or read a small extract etc...

When I do hear my readers, it is only a few pages that I get the children to read. I'd personally like to hear them read, if possible.

13. Lara mfl 05

Yes, if you want to monitor accurately, there's no substitute for hearing them yourself.
    So Year 2 will on the whole be starting to be able to actually 'read' properly ie in sentences as opposed to just sounding out /phonics. Do you think you could assign some proper reading time each day and take say 5 mins and do 2 children at a time- one able and one not so? You have one on each side and after a while you get quite good at 'hearing' when the more able one needs a prompt.

14. delma

delma New commenter

Thanks, Lara. That's a great idea. Ooh, now to find a spare 5mins!

15. Lara mfl 05

Well allowing time for a 5 min 'comfort break' you might get 2 5 mins at breaktime, then another 2-3 5 mins at lunchtime (assuming you have a reasonably long lunchtime?). That would be potentially be 10 children and if you could squeeze some in during assembly times? Certainly how we used to manage.

16. delma

delma New commenter

We have an hour for lunchtime and I'm sure I could 'train' my children to come in after they've eaten their lunch. Staff have to attend assemblies, otherwise that'd be a perfect time to hear readers.