1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when do you give up....

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by strugglingHoD, Sep 17, 2019.

1. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

ok,

so this is the third year of my HoD journey and the transformation has been amazing (i inherited a mess, however SLT don't really admit to this)

however results have yet to improve, they've seen an upward spiral, but have yet to reach the fabled 0.00.

I've been beaten up by the standard head teacher "why is it not improving" conversation, then i had my appraisal. I'm UPS and haven't had a pay rise since i've got into this job, due to ....poor results (thinking of getting union involved now, it's really getting to me)

it's clear my face doesn't fit(SLT don't think i'm up to the task, i can tell), but i also think "one more year and results will improve, then i can leave", but how long can i continue to take a kicking before i quit and go down to a standard teacher? How long do you try before you jump?

i've tried for standard teacher jobs, but yet to be successful, don't know why...excuses (sorry feedback) is not great to pinpoint why i'm not getting anywhere

2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

most heads of dept are hired for 5 years, this apparently is the norm for people to see the impact of the changes you make.

Obviously your department needs a fast turn around(but are there any quick wins?), but are the SLT on board with your changes, do they fully understand the impact of these and how long to take it to fruition. have you said to them it is a 4-5 year plan?

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If results are steadily improving towards the 0.00, hopefully you're on course. The first year, the GCSE results came from four years you had nothing to do with, and one year when you presumably began to make changes, but it's unlikely that those were having full effect from day one - in fact, it's more likely that anything you did for year 11 was more like patching potholes than proper resurfacing. The second year, the results were only 40% down to your leadership. And although your department leadership is important, they're also down to the staff teaching the groups.

Have they offered any practical suggestions of what they think you should be doing that you're not?

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Time to write a careful report: what you had when you took over, what actions you and your team have taken, what has worked and what has not, evidence of progress, comment on things that didn't work, action plan for this academic year. Check with your team - is there anything you've forgotten or underplayed? Then send it off to SLT, HT, whoever.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

One thing to consider is the relative difficulties of the GCSEs e.g. if you are teaching languages at GCSE you would expect to be about -0.5 as they are significantly harder to get good grades in. On the other hand, if you teach art you need to aim for +0.5 just to get to the expected progress

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter