1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when do you feel the need to do your own thing?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sharkinfested, Mar 8, 2011.

1. when on supply and the students are just not engaging with the work, arent interested, or work set isnt really appropriate, do you get something out of your own or feel the need to continue with what the teacher wants covering? i had a riot of a class last week and felt afterwards that if i had done my own thing or done it my own way then i would have been more successful.any advice and tips welcome.

2. when on supply and the students are just not engaging with the work, arent interested, or work set isnt really appropriate, do you get something out of your own or feel the need to continue with what the teacher wants covering? i had a riot of a class last week and felt afterwards that if i had done my own thing or done it my own way then i would have been more successful.any advice and tips welcome.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I carry a small pack of DVDs with me, and video clips from Teachers TV on memory stick. If I'm fortunate enough to have computer access I will sometimes introduce my own stuff when the set work is patently ****, non-existent, impossible, or has already been done by the class. YouYube can be a godsend too, especially for demonstrating scientific principles (ie Gravity, Static Electricity etc) in long textbook-only double lessons.

On longer term assignments I offer to adapt ICT-based work I've done before - HoDs are usually happy to go along with it, as it saves them from preparing work.

4. I would say if its terrible put your own spin on it and tell the teacher what you did and why, as sometimes teachers just grab anything and scribble any instructions down for us to follow. I've been in classes and changed things they still met the objectives but enjoyed what they were doing and were engaged.

5. If I changed all the things that are 'patently ****', I would change 90 percent of what I am asked to teach. It is either: (a) incorrect because the teacher is inexperienced; (b) inappropriate because the teacher is concerned with ticking boxes; or (c) not meaningful because the teacher cannot be bothered. This is assuming that work has been left at all.