1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

When do you decide to complain to the PCT?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3279, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. Bit of background...

    I had a really bad car crash at the end of last year and was injured quite badly. I wasn't examined by any hospital staff when we went to the hospital after the crash so the injuries only came to light once the shock had worn off. Despite going to the GP twice I have not been examined by either of them. The physio I went to who was arranged by the insurance company wrote a letter detailing her concerns but this was dismissed by the GPs although they very reluctantly referred me to an assessment physio to see if I needed a scan/x-ray etc. I haven't had either of those but the NHS physio has now decided that my collarbone was dislocated and because it's was dislocated for so long, the shoulder joint is inflamed and suffering (tell me about it!). The dislocation 'popped' (crunched) back into place two weeks ago.

    So, it has taken almost 5 months to get a diagnosis that was actually made in Jan by the insurance employed physio (it is written in the letter she sent to the gp). I need cortisone into the joint but it's taken two weeks for the letter from the nhs physio to be written and I've had to chase it up and now they're faxing it across. It'll probably take me another 2 or 3 weeks before I can see the GP for the jab.

    So, I'm wondering if this is normal for the NHS or whether it warrants a complaint to the PCT. In essence, I've been struggling with a dislocated collar bone for nearly 5 months, the GPs were given a suggestion that it was dislocated but ignored it and now I've got to wait even longer for them to deal with the ongoing pain. This sort of injury is, I gather, easily diagnosed through physical examination.

    I can't help but think that it could be some dear old lady going through the same thing if I don't flag it up. Sorry for the waffly post
  2. Torey

    Torey Occasional commenter

    I'd have complained at the point when I wasn't examined by staff following a car crash! I'd be talking to a solicitor about it now and getting them to write the complaint as your treatment is unacceptable and has had long term consequences. Whilst I'm not in favour of seeking compensation from the nhs as it takes from everyone I think you need to complain to at least get the treatment you need now and not later. It may stop it happening again.
  3. I think I would have done that but I was completely out of it for a few days, probably with concussion (I had a really sore head!). I was definitely in shock when I got to the hospital because I was quivering etc. Having to wait for 4 hours to even be seen at the hospital probably didn't really help.
    We have got a solicitor because the insurance company told us we needed to get one. Apparently this is usual when the injuries don't heal within a certain period of time. In fact, I think this might be partly the cause of the problem with not being examined by the GPs. I think they thought I was just after the dosh whereas I'd give up any money just to be fit again.
    I'll ask the solicitor about writing a letter.
    Thanks Torey :)
  4. Torey

    Torey Occasional commenter

    If it is that bad then I would ask for compensation. It is the 'sue for anything' mentality I disagree with. Not suggesting that for you, just in general.

Share This Page