1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do TA jobs start being advertised for September?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jimmyben, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Thanks for reading.

I was just wondering when, generally, teaching assistant jobs start being advertised for September starts?

I presume schools will advertise for teaching assistant roles all year round but imagine there will be a surge of jobs when current assistants move on after the academic year.

I ask because I'm going to be moving to China next week for six months to teach English as a foreign language and don't get back until mid July. I would imagine most schools who know of people leaving after the academic year would want new people in place before they leave for the summer holidays. I can obviously send electronic applications from China but wouldn't be available for interviews until I get back and fear I may be too late for applications.

Does anyone have information that would be of help?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley

2. Thanks for reading.

I was just wondering when, generally, teaching assistant jobs start being advertised for September starts?

I presume schools will advertise for teaching assistant roles all year round but imagine there will be a surge of jobs when current assistants move on after the academic year.

I ask because I'm going to be moving to China next week for six months to teach English as a foreign language and don't get back until mid July. I would imagine most schools who know of people leaving after the academic year would want new people in place before they leave for the summer holidays. I can obviously send electronic applications from China but wouldn't be available for interviews until I get back and fear I may be too late for applications.

Does anyone have information that would be of help?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

You may be lucky - when I got my TA job, the interview was only about a week before the end of term. It really does depend on when people hand in their notice. Unlike teachers, TAs only have to give a month's notice - so therefore could be handing in their notice during the Summer holidays. Good luck

4. As a rule of thumb the best positions advertise between April and June. Positions at the end of June, early July are a result of last minute budget adjustments and will be part-time temporary.