1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do I receive P45?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sabrinakat, Sep 26, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I started in new school this month, but I haven't received my P45 from my old school yet. Do I ring them? They have kindly posted my payslips in July and August....

Thanks

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I would. Normally comes with the last payslip, in my experience.

jomaimai and sabrinakat like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My experience too, and I think that's what HMRC rules require. The employer is supposed to give you the P45 simultaneously with, or very shortly after, your last pay day. Contact your previous school and ask where it is. Without it you will have too much tax deducted by your new employer (to start with at least).

4. sabrinakat

Yep, got a massive chunk of tax out of this pay, e.g on 5K more a year but getting 50 quid less in a monthly paycheck????!!!

My old school did post the payslips, but no P45 yet. I emailed my 'old' deputy head to ask if she could forward the request to Finance as I had a huge tax bill on emergency,e.g. I 'lost' about 400 pounds! My old HOD would be no use, so crossing figures that I can get this sorted before the next pay.

Am curious about pension contributions, though. I opted out at my last school (it was a one-year fixed term), so was going to start it this month - but it seems huge! I should just say, without mentioning figures, it was 10% of my gross - is that normal?

sigh.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

jomaimai and sabrinakat like this.
  6. sabrinakat

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You're very welcome. Let us know if you sort it, will you, especially if you have to do a lot of work to do so. Being on the emergency tax code is quite normal, but it sounds like something else has happened with your pay.

8. PRUman

PRUman New commenter

On the pension comment - this month's pay packet says I paid 10.2% of gross pat.

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You should have already received it because a P45 is generated once the school have processed you as a leaver... It's either got 'lost' in the post or stuck amongst all the other HR paperwork! Drop an email to the school and tell them that
    You need it!

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Assuming that you are in the TPS, 10.2% would be correct for somebody on between £41,500 and £54,999. So the OP's pension contribution rate could be OK for somebody earning in that range, which is a plausible amount for an Upper Pay Scale teacher in London or one elsewhere with a TLR. Or in a reasonably well paid private school.

11. sabrinakat

All sorted - my old HOF sent it on to me and my pension has been sorted to the correct %. Definitely not on 41.5K and above!

thanks, all!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad all is settled. Enjoy the weekend now with the family.

Best wishes