1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do I do the ISA?

Discussion in 'Science' started by surf kitty too, Aug 1, 2015.

1. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

I know its the holidays, but as I have literally only just got my timetable, I need to get this clear in my head.

I teach in a special school, I am the only science teacher. We have not done GCSE at the school before, and I have no HoD.

I have 7 students who will be following AQA science A, starting in September, with the exams next May. I am fine on the content, having taught it in mainstream, but no idea when I have to do the ISA...does it have to be done before the exams or can I do it in the few weeks just after? I can't seem to find the answer on the website, all it says is use set E.

Many thanks

2. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

You do it at some point during the year. We do one in the last two weeks of the December term, and then another when we come back in January. You can do multiple ISAa and just put the best result forward for each individual pupil.

We tend to do the physics and chemistry ones, as the biology ISAs tend to be harder to get to work, and often don't give a nice straight line which makes it easier to draw graphs and answer the questions for the less able pupils.

It is a good idea to go through the exemplar ISA on the AQA website with the class before you do the real thing. A lot of the same things come up each time. Also make sure they understand independent variable, valid experiment, etc., etc. It is very important to use their own data in the answers. I would look through some papers and mark schemes before embarking on them. I found them quite stressful the first year, but have got used to them now.

3. sci84

sci84 New commenter