1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When do I ask if I still have a job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!
    I am at a school at the moment and I am on a tempory 1 year contract from sept 10 till aug 11. It's not hovering anyones job or maternity etc.... It was just the school needed an extra class. However, I really want to stay I have made great friends and really love the school. Is if rude to ask whether I would have a job in September coming up? If not when is the best time to ask the head whether I have a job? Hopefully soon cuz all the jobs will be appearing in mArch time.
    Thanks x

2. Hi everyone!
    I am at a school at the moment and I am on a tempory 1 year contract from sept 10 till aug 11. It's not hovering anyones job or maternity etc.... It was just the school needed an extra class. However, I really want to stay I have made great friends and really love the school. Is if rude to ask whether I would have a job in September coming up? If not when is the best time to ask the head whether I have a job? Hopefully soon cuz all the jobs will be appearing in mArch time.
    Thanks x

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Now would seem a sensible time to make initial enquiries with your Head. It is possible that he/she will say that they won't know until the budget is finalised, but that shouldn't be too far off.

4. Mmmmmmm yes I have thought about it now. Does anyone know when the budget is in. People I work with say they think I will be ok but since the conservatives are in they are not quite sure now.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We would normally have received next years budget by now, but it still hasn't come in[​IMG]
    Initially we were told it would be end Feb, then March and latest was April! So we could then be spending money we haven't got!

6. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

You can politely start asking now, although as others say heads don't know for sure yet!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agree with all other posters, it does depend on budget allocation for next year & how many pupils you'll have next year.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would ask more in a way of 'I need to start looking for other posts, can I please use you as a reference? Obviously I'd really like to stay here, but as I'm only on a one year contract, I need to start looking ahead.' And then see what they say.

9. I think I will wait until after half term. I can always ask secretary if budget has come in I get on very well with her.
    It's hard because all the staff are talking as if I will be there next year by saying... 'next year we can do this', or.... ' next year we will have to do this this way'
    The thought of going through the whole applying, teaching and interview process is very upsetting when you are comfortable in the place you are at. [​IMG]
    ANother colleague of mine also said she was on a tempory 1 term contract last year and the head came and asked her if she would like to be made permanant. If this was to happen to me I would be extreamly happy.
    I will let you know how it goes and thanks for everyones advice!
    xxx