1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When did you tell your headteacher that you were expecting?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by cath1980, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I know legally it is 15 weeks before your baby is due but was wondering when other people had/were planning to inform head teacher? How late has anyone left it? I am almost 19wks x

2. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I disclosed very early - I was only 6 weeks pregnant. However, I'm diabetic and had to attend an antenatal clinic once a fortnight, and I have a long commute to work so attending at the hospital meant I needed a full day off work for the appt. It was on a day when I had double yr11, so I felt it important to explain why I had so much time off, and to make sure that I always got it without problem. However, I probably would have disclosed at around 12 weeks anyway, as they needed to make arrangements for mat cover from Sept, and I wanted to give them sufficient warning to find someone.

3. Checha

Checha New commenter

HIya! I was about 3 or 4 months after my first scan- I wasnt showing as i stayed covered up- but as i didnt want the whole school knowing yet- i asked him to keep it on the hush and he agreed until i was ready. There will be a risk assessment involved which is important- so tell the head when your ready- its best coming from you then the staff gossip! Good luck!

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Think I was about 14 wks as I had my 12 wk scan late.

5. I would say tell Ht (even if no-one else) as soon as possible. You then have legal rights.

If anything did happen and you m/c at least your HT would know and hopefully be supportive.

6. rebel75

rebel75 New commenter

I told my HT and DH at 5 weeks because I was already feeling a bit ropey and they are both very trustworthy and I knew I could rely on them not to leak the info to other staff.