1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When did you last turn out your make up bag?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I have just read a horror article on yahoo about all the horrible bacteria lurking in make bags. They nestle and proliferate in brushes and sponges and they particularly love lipsticks and mascara. They have nasty names like pseudomonas aeruginosa, staphylococcus epidermis and E Coli. Aaargh! You think you're making yourself beautiful but you could be ingesting FILTH every time you apply your lippy!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have just read a horror article on yahoo about all the horrible bacteria lurking in make bags. They nestle and proliferate in brushes and sponges and they particularly love lipsticks and mascara. They have nasty names like pseudomonas aeruginosa, staphylococcus epidermis and E Coli. Aaargh! You think you're making yourself beautiful but you could be ingesting FILTH every time you apply your lippy!

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't own a make-up bag!
    I have very little make-up.
    No mascara (no eyeshadow or eye-pencils either)
    No foundation or blusher - so no brushes/sponges.
    I do own a lip-pencil and I think two lipsticks. ...I buy one or maybe two a year and bin the old ones.
    In winter I may buy a lip-balm.
    So there's at least one health scare that doen't concern me personally!

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I use the same products so Idon't have anything really lurking in there. I just use Clarins foundation and loose powder or bronzer, Clinique mascara and benetint blusher. I do have a couple of eye shadows and a nude lip gloss.
    It used to make me cringe when I saw girls apply it in class by just digging out huge chunks of thestuff and slapping it on without washing their hands first!

5. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I usually do it when I buy some new make up, so maybe every 3-4 months and then I get rid off the old mascara etc.
    I wear mascara every day so it runs out quite quickly but I did know that things like mascara harbour quite nasty germs.
    When my kids were babies I went through a period of not wearing any makeup and then went out for a meal where I put on the mascara and eye liner I had and my eyes were stinging and watering really badly so I worked out it must have been the equivalent of applying raw bacteria to my eyes.
    So men, check your partner has new and hygenic lipstick (by treating her) You don't want to be kissing a walking health risk.

6. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

When my eldest went abroad to work, we found lots of old make-up in her room, some of it from the teenage magazines she used to get when she was 13...yuk!