1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When did you last have a student?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mammal, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I have taken over having a student in my class this term as the teacher they should have been with is absent. It's the first time I have had one in about 12 years. The last one did really well and got a top grade when OFSTED was visiting their college and came to observe. However I still hate being observed and hope that I still have plenty that they can learn from, even though I am the oldest fogey on the staff. I don't suppose that students realise that we feel nervous too.

2. You're not old, just experienced! Its a fantastic opportunity for the student, the fact you have so much experience. Plus you're obviously good at guiding the student if your last one did so well. Haven't ever had a student myself - have only been teaching three years, but I know I'd be panicking too - I'd be feeling like I have to perform really well every lesson!

3. Thanks JSF. You have just reminded me that the only other time I had a student was in my probationary year. The Head had agreed to take on too many students and I was the only extra option. It was a sure fire way of making me suddenly seem experienced. That would certainly never happen now.

4. I'm a final year trainee who is starting placement soon so I'm afraid I can't answer your question. I wanted to post though because I found your comment about teachers getting nervous too, very interesting. When I'm on placement, I'm just always worrying about whether I can teach to a good enough standard, especially if the teacher is very experienced and has been teaching for years. I watch teachers teach and then worry because their lessons seem to run so smoothly and I wish that I had their experience and knowledge. I also worry a bit because one of the course recommendations is that we're teaching for more than 50% of the time. I feel like I'm just coming in and taking over and at the same time I'm analysing everything I do and trying to make a good impression. I'm very critical of my lessons and always try to make sure that I put that little bit of extra effort in to improve my teaching and I hate it when things go wrong, which happens occasionally. I suppose it's one big learning curve.
    Can I ask please, what you look for in a student teacher and what they'd need to do to impress you? I know people who have got a job from their final placement. I just really want to shine and do my best.

5. The absolute best thing you can do is listen to advice given to you! I know students who have riled mentors/class teachers because they have been given advice and have completely ignored it. It makes you seem like you think you know best! I can't imagine you being like that though. Just be friendly, polite, put it extra effort even if others seem to go home at half three! Believe me, most teachers are just as nervous having a student in (see OP for a start!) and things DEFINITELY do not always run smoothly. Just try a day in my classroom! Things go wrong on a regular basis for most teachers, you just have to think on your feet and be flexible to change.
    I'm only in my fourth year of teaching so don't have all the answers, but thought I could offer a little bit of advice!