1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When did you know it was time to go?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My last gig was KS5 with SEN. They'd all go on to get paid work or hope to contribute to society (remember that strand of ECM???) by doing voluntary work. We did loads of practical things. Allotment. Shopping. Pop into the bank. One day a week work experience. I thought it was valuable stuff.

Yes, we put them in for QCF qualifications. Not that any employer ever recognised or cared but it was one of those hoops. OK. Then I realised that it was taking longer to put the portfolio together than to perform the actual TASKS. And the portfolio wasn't even worth much because I could have done it all for all of them if I'd wanted. It would have been quicker!!! Plus nobody had ever heard of the qualification.

So this stuff (below) was useful. I got someone from a local firm to do the interviews and give feedback. This was only one LO from the course. Fine. But when you have to take 63 photos, save them, make them accessible etc etc etc. Plus all the other gubbins.

I just lost the will to teach. Well, not exactly. I wanted them to learn. I just didn't see what was the good of taking hours to complete an account of what they'd done. I couldn't do it to them. It's not what I wanted.

Be able to demonstrate positive behaviours and communicate appropriately at a job interview

4.1 Demonstrate positive behaviours at an interview

i.e. Learners must as a minimum:  make a good first impression e.g.  dress appropriately  arrive on time  sit down when asked.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/200897...repare-for-and-learn-from-a-job-interview.pdf

cissy3 likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I went down to merely satisfactory.

Noja and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

When I hadn't slept more than an hour each night for three months and this pattern had been occurring every term for two years. I felt physically and mentally almost dead.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

When I realised that my managers didn't view the teaching part of my job as the most important.

Noja, Mrsmumbles, rachel_g41 and 4 others like this.
  5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

This sounds like me with my second child who was bloody nocturnal until nearly 3 yrs old! physically and mentally almost dead summed it up! :eek:

Middlemarch likes this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When the school was forced into becoming part of a MAT and the only head they could find was someone in the Trust who had never been a head and was useless. She was there a week and I knew I must go.

snowflakesfalling and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

I forgot about the newly-promoted colleagues who were sheet.

8. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

As for me I am not out of the teaching but out of the school.

I knew it was time to go when my waters broke WELL over 6 weeks early (keeping specifics out of it) in a Christmas play rehearsal and my eldest was born premature the next day.

My consultant explained that the MOST likely reason this happened was due to stress caused by the lack of support, training, development, and (on one occasion) bullying (in front of a staffroom full of colleagues) by SLT including leaving me in a class with a physically challenging and disruptive young boy throughout my pregnancy despite risk assessments etc.

Sadly it took me another 2 pregnancies (some may say I have 3 children as I needed the maternity leaves to be out of that school, I couldn't comment) and 5 years to actually get myself out of that terrible situation.

Thankfully I still teach :D and I am just beginning to consider re-entry into a school based role again over 8 yrs on from that event!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

Blimey @senlady
    That's quite a tale! Heck. I hope your firstborn ended up OK. That'd put most people off for good, I think. Wow. Best wishes.

coffeekid and cissy3 like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

For me it was more of a creeping realization. Like those films where the car breaks down near a creepy old house, the door creaks open, weird looking servant, disturbing pictures on the wall etc. but no one thing says "turn and run now". Eventually there you are walking down a dark corridor carrying a candle to investigate the scream you heard....

I decided to get out before a draught blew the candle out.

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

When I returned from living abroad, I had several temporary and part-time jobs, which all had their problems.
    Two of them expected me to run a small department single handedly., with no technical support or SEN assistance. With trapped time (ie on premises for most of the week for 0.5 M6 pay)

But it wasn't the pay that finished me. It was my last job, again 0.5, but this time with a HOD, who was awful.

I had all low ability sets, at KS3, but was forced to follow a micro-managed scheme of work where the delivery was expected to follow to the letter exactly the same pattern as for high ability. No flexibility allowed.

The behaviour was awful, the school was being placed in SM, mocksteds etc and the SMT expected two-sides A4 planning per lesson, to be handed in every week, as well as marking trawls involving several sentences weekly for every piece of work. When it's practical stuff it's hard even to physically do that, without spending ages on developing cruddy booklets to show all this.

Finally it was making me ill, despite only being part-time, so even though it was a permanet job, I left with no job to go to.

(Bit of a rant that :D )

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't usually talk (on here) about why I left teaching, but what the hell.

Background: I left a great school to go back to the city where my (then) boyfriend lived. Got a job in the Worst School in the World. Left, to avoid a break-down. Had a break from teaching, went back, had a baby, went back on supply. All was well, and I was pretty happy. Still with me?
    THEN the Pays and Conditions for Supply Teachers in Scotland changed for the worse. It was rubbish, and good teachers, who would have hung in there until they got permanent contracts began to drop like flies because not only were the P+Cs rubbish, there were barely any permanent contracts. It was cheaper to keep recycling supply teachers. I had a temporary contract which I had to interview for twice (once every six months) in order to keep working there. When I interviewed for it for the last time, I was getting a bit p*ssed off, probably visibly, and they decided to give the job to someone fresh out of teacher training. Hurrah.

Anyway, I got a supply job at a nice school, but by this stage I'd sort of lost the will to live. Anyone who has done long-term supply knows how jaded one can become. I'd been sent to cover an S5 English class, and as I heard the kids lining up outside the room, I heard some wag say, "There's some random in our class". Ugh. That was The Moment. Didn't go back the next day, never been in a classroom since.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh, and the irony is, everyone up here is wondering why there's such a massive a shortage of teachers now. I'd laugh, but it's not funny.

Noja, TCSC47, Mrsmumbles and 6 others like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When I realised that I was in a praise-desert and then found myself inexplicably getting RI despite doing as well as ever.

The Informal Capability helped as well...

bonkers 704, Noja, Mrsmumbles and 3 others like this.
  15. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

For me it was being downgraded from lecturer; replaced by a wet-behind-the-ears 24 year old who had never taught before; then being made his mentor and having to teach him to do my job. This happened to several of us whose ages began with a 5. I could afford to get out so I did.

16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

No you didn't. I did!

Joking apart, I often find the advice on TES re behaviour almost laughable when it's obviously coming from someone who has no idea what some of the worst schools are like.

And the worse the behaviour is, the bigger the paper workload is for staff! Just great!

(I have worked in schools where behaviour is good, before anyone thinks I'm exaggerating!)

17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

There's a hell of a lot of that about. (reading WD)

I think that would have happened to me if I'd stayed.

Because the job had made me ill, I was on a high dosage of meds (pain-killers for chest-pains, plus meds for depression)

The last 'mocksted' passed me by in a haze! I just couldn't care less when the 'Minspector' came into my lesson for the 20 mins required to see ten plenaries, ten methods of differentiation etc etc

All I cared about at that point was that they were all in their seats working.
    FAIL!

18. grumpydogwoman

Absolutely! It's barking!

"But you didn't record the incident you've now mentioned to me."

"No. Well spotted. That's because I spend my whole day dealing with incidents of one kind or another. Then I go home because I'm knackered and would quite like a life. So-rreeee."

TCSC47, lanokia and cissy3 like this.
  19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Leaving my last school.... when the head and his crony told barefaced lies and made it clear the writing was on the wall.
    Not returning to teaching and turning down job offers...when I realised I couldn't morally teach in the way I was forced and when I realised that life outside of teaching is so much healthier and happier.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That is the flaw in my new school... I have to record the behaviour incidents. If I record them all then... well it'd take up a lot of time. So I handle things my way.

Plus is they pay me if I do an afterschool detention.