1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When did you first realise you were a `Grown-up`?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nuuk, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

The recent Christmas posts jogged my memory and I remembered the year my mum bought me a bracelet and a stocking filler of a peg bag and bag of pegs. Although like most people, I suspect, I`'ve remained about age 20 in my head, this was the first time I thought, `oh I am a grown-up!`

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm an adult? Damn.

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

When I rejected religion aged 7.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm not sure exactly what being 'grown up' means

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Still wondering when it'll hit...

In no rush.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

When they close the box

ScotSEN and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It was when I was about 23 and realised my Mum was telling me something and she was wrong (factually). I'd never properly realised my parents could ever be wrong about anything.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The pressure to grow up has made me a Groan-Up.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When two friends drove down to Italy to pick me up at the end of my university year abroad in1980. Driving back up through Italy and France, with no parents in tow, made me feel incredibly independent and "grown up".

10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

does not compute.

ScotSEN likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last time I met my parents they both talked about their wills... and what'd happen when they died.

I really really wanted to not be a grown up during those conversations.

12. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

When I was sat in the dark on my own with a screaming baby. Yes. You have to sort this out yourself. You can't go bleating for help to your Mum or make Dear Alfred knackered all day at work. This is what being a grown-up must be like.

Dragonlady30, Noja, Lascarina and 2 others like this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

When my son was rushed to Intensive Care and the doctors told me they weren't hopeful for a positive outcome.

Thankfully my son's a real fighter and pulled through.

Noja, Lascarina and InkyP like this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I couldn't sort it out for myself so I am everlastingly grateful to my lovely mum who did look after me and my baby son when I suffered puerperal psychosis after his birth. It was only when I recovered that I became grown up. But it took a year and she never gave up on us.

ScotSEN, Noja and InkyP like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

For a man, you know you are considered to be grown up when you started getting socks and monogrammed handkerchiefs as presents. I suppose that I noticed that I should be grown up by the usual milestones of life: marriage, mortgage, children, death of parent, bus pass. I wonder if being grown up is just a front people put on as it's expected of them. I don't feel any different than I did when I was twenty, or, at least, I don't think that I do.

ScotSEN, RedQuilt and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

When I became an orphan.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

When I realised I didn't care that much whether my colleagues liked me but did care that i was seen as a professional person. I was about 50. Now I don't work I'm regressing I think. I do think about dying but less about being "grown up". I tend to do what I want as much as possible and am less interested in taking responsibility - which equates to being grown up in my mind.

ScotSEN and lanokia like this.
  18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I don't intend to be grown up these days. Been there, done that!

ScotSEN and lindenlea like this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Foxtail that sums it up exactly.:)

20. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im a born again teenager....and my wife says i never grew up...does that help?