1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When did grading come back into fashion

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Robfreeman, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Im a supply so a bit out of updated practice. When ive been in a few schools they all seem to have started grading again, when did this happen. Many even grade walk throughs ive noticed and book scrutinies. Im not saying this is a bad thing im just wondering if someone could explain why grading seems to be the preferred option to ungrading.

2. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

It's all about scrutiny I'm afraid. Books, Learning Walks, Observations (a longer version, sometimes, of the Learning Walk!!!). And it about 'accountability and appraisal'. Supply is a good way to get back into the 'profession'.

BetterNow and eljefeb90 like this.
  3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

My school never stopped grading lessons. For book scrutinies, they do the Red Amber Green thing.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Ironic, isn't it? SLTs used the 'Ofsted requirement' mantra for years. Now Ofsted no longer grade lessons, it is still widely used...and over used. Scrutiny by spreadsheet. It proves managers a nd troops are doing their job, I suppose, but the costs massively outweigh the benefits. It is this massive overkill that induces paranoia and saps the confidence of staff. It skews priorities , leads to unnecessary pressure and overload and contributes massively to making the job a joyless and stressful affair.

5. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Probably provides the burgeoning market in CBT with streams of patients. I believe that what is left of LEA mental health support is massively under pressure.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

At my last school in England, a year ago, the phrase, "OFSTED requires ...", became a joke in the morning briefings. Management tried to justify lots of additional pointless nonsense in this way Also the word "flightpath" got a good giggle from the staff as it was used so often. I pointed out that no matter how many times I tested Little Johnny to see where he was on his flightpath, his refusal to apply any trace of effort was the real cause of his poor marks. I also questioned the "target" on his flightpath. The principal took this as heresy as the target was used by OFSTED to grade us, apparently.

The ensuing repeated assess/intervention cycle which followed made not one jot of difference to the student who still refused to apply any effort. This resulted in a conversation with the principal who squarely put the under-performance of the student on me.

This process of assessment/under performance/intervention/blaming the teacher was repeated for many students and many teachers. All it achieved was stressed out teachers. We ended up changing grade boundaries for our assessments so that the flightpath was satisfied. One other thing was achieved, half the staff left in one year. The school now has only a handful of full time teachers. Most of the teaching is done by part time and supply staff. Staff got a 1% rise last year, the chief exec of the MAT got 17%.

This is education in England. I love the "School" program. I wonder how many parents are astonished by it.

install, bevdex and agathamorse like this.