1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when did AF return?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mel22, Feb 4, 2011.

1. My LO is 11 weeks old today and i haven't had AF yet. I am not breast feeding and i am not pregnant! Just wondered if this was normal or something i should go back to the doctors about.

2. My LO is 11 weeks old today and i haven't had AF yet. I am not breast feeding and i am not pregnant! Just wondered if this was normal or something i should go back to the doctors about.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Mine hadn't come back by the time by son was 4 months old when I went back on the pill again. I wasn't able to exclusively BF so mix fed for 10 weeks and then formula fed. I wouldn't worry about it, but obviously go to the doctor if you're concerned.
    When i stopped taking the pill after nearly a year to try for another baby AF came back like clockwork, which was weird as it had never been like before i started taking the pill years ago!

4. handrail

handrail New commenter

Mine came after 2 months but I think it can be alot longer x

5. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

I think mine came after 6 weeks even though I was exclusively breastfeeding but since then I have not had one (my LO is 18 weeks old).
    x

6. I just logged on to post this exact same thread!
    I'm breastfeeding but LO is now over 8 months old and i haven't had AF since before i was preg! I mean, it is nice not having it but i'm starting to worry that when we want to ttc after the summer we won't be able to. Have others had to fully wean before it came back?

7. My sis started TTC when still breastfeeding and somehow managed to get pregnant without AF, LO number 2 is now 5 months ish- she hasn't had an AF for years! As you are weaning and LO will be taking less milk your body is becoming more fertile.... I think her first was about 8 months when she became pregnant.
    I think everyone is a bit different though.

8. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I didn't breastfeed and think I had my first AF since having her when she was about 6 or 7 months old.

9. I went on the mini pill 3 weeks after giving birth (do not want another LO very close together) and that causes irregular bleeding - so I have no idea. sorry.

10. I'm ebf and I think mine made an appearance at 6 weeks - most annoying!!

11. Not breastfeeding at all and AF returned at 10 weeks- and was really horrible [​IMG]

12. I am breastfeeding and it turned up when LO was 8 weeks. V unexpected!!

13. LO was 6 months. I was bf but not exclusively by then.

14. 8 weeks I think, I was formula feeding. Before baby I had such painful AFs due to endometriosis and popping out a kid seems to have remedied that as it is now painfree and much lighter (TMI?).

15. mine are regular like clockwork since having my baby! Still painful though, and my God, the first one was bloody horrendous!!

16. Isn't it funny how this varies so much?!
    I went straight back to normal. My first period was when little one was 8 weeks old (postnatal bleeding stopped when he was 4 weeks) and they have been regular ever since. I agree with Clematis, the first one was hideous. I cried every day because I thought that's how it would be every time.

17. handrail

handrail New commenter

Really enjoyed my year without them. Forgot how rubbish periods are!

18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You can get preg when bf, it is less likely BUT on the other hand, if you had a normal, easy birth (as in no surgery trauma etc), you are more likely to easily get preggers anyway shortly after, things just seem to be more 'open'.
    And this technical description is from a midwife, I asked!

19. It really does vary doesn't it. Thanks for you replies, it was reassuring to know how different we all are and stopped me worrying quite so much. My AF turned up yesterday, 12 weeks after LO was born, had forgotten how horrible it makes you feel.