1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When can we be reasonably be expected to take our PPA?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by billyelliot, Jul 20, 2011.

1. billyelliot

billyelliot New commenter

I know the info is in the system somewhere but I am too steamed up to check. I have learnt (via the gossip express) that some staff are going to be asked to take PPA in 4 or more bite size timeslots including several assembly slots. The longest time will be 45 mins with the rest in 20 min chunks . I am asking for a more rational mind than mine to see if this is, in fact, allowed. Other staff are getting their personal time in one go AND their management time in one go. That seems to me to be rather unfair. If we register, deposit class in the hall and go back to begin PPA can that really be seen as a useful amount of time when the class will trot behind us 10 mins later? Also, how will we get a lesson set up and ready if we are supposed to be away from the classroom?

If we mention feeling hard done by the SMT talk quietly about knowing where the door is. Their times are all set up nicely. Perhaps I am just over tired but I feel this is not on. Please tell me what you think?

2. billyelliot

I know the info is in the system somewhere but I am too steamed up to check. I have learnt (via the gossip express) that some staff are going to be asked to take PPA in 4 or more bite size timeslots including several assembly slots. The longest time will be 45 mins with the rest in 20 min chunks . I am asking for a more rational mind than mine to see if this is, in fact, allowed. Other staff are getting their personal time in one go AND their management time in one go. That seems to me to be rather unfair. If we register, deposit class in the hall and go back to begin PPA can that really be seen as a useful amount of time when the class will trot behind us 10 mins later? Also, how will we get a lesson set up and ready if we are supposed to be away from the classroom?

If we mention feeling hard done by the SMT talk quietly about knowing where the door is. Their times are all set up nicely. Perhaps I am just over tired but I feel this is not on. Please tell me what you think?

3. Assuming that you are in a state maintained school working under STPCD, then PPA rules are quite clear. PPA must be calculated as at least 10% of your timetabled teaching time. It must be allocated to you in blocks of at least 30 minutes. IIRC assembly time cannot be allocated as PPA time.
    I suggest you copy the relevant section of STPCD and pass it up the line to SMT. If this produces no change call your union at regional or county level.

4. billyelliot

Thank you. This is what we thought. Assembly time is when we hear readers and do intervention stuff. Unless taking the assembly.

5. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

sounds like you have the luxury of your own classroom. I remember those days, being able to have books out and resources out with the board on and be ready at the door to greet the class, no such luck in one of these new fangled buildings where every inch of space is used and there is no such thing as having our own room!

6. billyelliot

We are primary so have a room. But KS1 lessons need prep and getting off to assembly and back then doing work then stopping for kids arriving and starting will not leave 20 or 30 mins of quality time. We need to be totally sure of our facts before going to speak to SMT.