1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When can I start trying??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Mummymoo2015, May 28, 2017.

1. Mummymoo2015

Mummymoo2015 New commenter

I've got a new job starting in September as a part time, job share teacher, I also have a 2 1/2 year old! I really want to have another baby before the age gap gets too big! When can I start trying? I don't want to be hated by my new school but I also really want another baby! The head who appointed me is leaving so the school have got a new head starting in september and the school is also expanding in September so it's going to be a busy time! What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I would worry about pay rather than them being mad at you. Pregnancy happens! You have to have worked for an employer for a certain period of time to qualify for maternity pay. Check that out first.

3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

In 20 odd years, you won't remember your school and they certainly won't remember your giving your all to them - you will, however, have a lovely child. Don't worry about school: they'll cope. Make sure you get your full maternity pay though so perhaps wait til October to start trying.

bonxie, sabrinakat and dunnocks like this.
  4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Also, take into account (I guess you probably have) that it might not happen immediately. If you want another child before there is too big a gap between them it's probably best to start trying as soon as you can. If you think you've left it too late you could end up stressing about it and finding it difficult to conceive as a result.

Family should come before work.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I agree, the school situation is irrelevant. If you want another baby, go for it!

good luck

6. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I'm in a similar boat Mummymoo! New job in September. We were trying for quite a while, unsuccessfully, before I got the new job and I went straight back on the pill knowing how difficult it'd be financially if it finally happened at the wrong time. Now I'm not sure how long to wait in terms of getting maximum maternity pay. I have horrendous periods so it's been a relief being back on the pill to be honest!

7. sbrown1604

sbrown1604 New commenter

I wouldn't worry about the school's position - you need to decided what's best for your family. The only thing that may be affected is how much maternity pay you get and to get the full amount you need to have 1 years continuous service before the 29th week. Hope this helps.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The continuous employment is counted across all LEAs and maintained schools, so can include your time at your previous school if it is in that category and there is no gap between the two jobs. That all assumes you are under STPCD/Burgundy book. If it's an academy, you need to check what their maternity pay policy is to know whether you'll get anything beyond statutory entitlements.

9. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

So to be on the safe side, I should wait until February to start trying, as I'm starting at a new school in September? It's in an LEA but my current school is an academy. Thanks!

10. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Was your current school an academy when you joined it? If not, and you were covered by TUPE, it might be worth talking to your union. If TUPE is supposed to prevent any detrimental change to pay and conditions, I reckon time in an academy under TUPE ought to count as maintained sector, but I don't know if it works like that.

11. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

When I did my NQT induction at my current school in July it wasn't academy but it was by that September! It's in a different county to my new school too. Think we'll just wait, the relocating will keep us busy enough!

Thanks for the advice.

12. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

Can schools set rules on when you are allowed to claim maternity pay? I’ve heard a rumour that to be entitled to the full amount, you need to have worked there for 2 years before getting pregnant. The school is a LEA one if that makes a difference.