1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When can I leave? Should I?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Many people will have seen my posts over the last few weeks and while I understand no one can make this decision for me I am feeling overwhelmed. I know this week is kind of the 'cut off' point for handing in a resignation. Can I leave during the february half term if I decide to stay or will I be trapped until Easter?

Time: I work from about 7am to 8pm each night (yes and Friday) and later, most weekends I also bring work home with me
    Work: At the moment we have no HoD so a lot of work is falling on me which should improve when we get one but that won't be until after christmas
    Expectations: I feel so stressed about the work that the students have to produce for a new course and I don't feel like I'm coping with it; mainly at A-level and GCSE but also the amount of pressure that even seems to be building at KS3.
    Family: I'm not maried and I don't have any children but I deeply miss my parents who live 4 hours away and I only get to see each half term for a few days.
    Teaching: The only part I love, the kids are amazing, but it's one of the very few perks
    Department: I don't feel like I fit in
    Pay: Last week I worked 65 hours; I take less than £400 a week after taxes.

The risk: Handing in my notice this week with no job to walk into at Christmas. Is it worth it or should I shut up and put up?

Basically I feel stressed, overwhelmed and basically like I can't cope. I'm good at what I do but this profession will rip you to shreads at any point it can. If it's not your colleagues being overworked and dragging you down, it's SLT telling you more more more, and then the news and government undermining it even more. No wonder the teaching profession is going down the hill.

What I'm most angry about is ofsted. A two day visit can put stress on staff for MONTHS. We're due an ofsted, it will be my first, and I find it utterly f**king ridiculous how a few people walking into a building, walking around and having an opinion can terrify so many people. Yes it's off the point but this is stupid.

I'm sorry for my ranting and I'm sorry that I feel so negative but I am rapidly losing the love I had for my profession.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The three leaving points for someone on a 'normal' contract are:

to leave at 31 December, give notice by no later than 31 October;
    to leave at 30 April, give notice by no later than 28 February;
    to leave at 31 August, give notice by no later than 31 May.

Half-term is never an option. You can however ask the HT for any other date you fancy but it is entirely up to them whether they agree to it. You can't bank on it.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Indeed. They call it permission to leave at the 'Head teacher's discretion.' Hmmm. Like it's a sort of special party liner or something...

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

ok... I can't be the only one who read that as "special PANTY liner"....

yodaami2, s10327, peggylu and 2 others like this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Haha! I MEANT panty liner!

'Headmistress' Discretion. The new super-soft and subtle solution to feminine hygiene..Available at all branches of Boots and Superdrug.'

peggylu and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

upload_2016-10-15_17-50-4.png

THIS is a party liner.

7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I did wonder what a party liner was......

peggylu and Mrsmumbles like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Hee hee hee! I need new glasses. Am a rubbish typist...Actually I want to be in that there liner. Swilling gin!

9. Mrsmumbles

image.jpeg
    "Headmistress' Discretion: clean, quick, and lightly scented panty liners for ALL your OFSTED days..."

1 person likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Probably my first ever teaching job. It was great. Constant laughter. Unlike last few years. I'm still getting used to the discretion sessions...I bet some Heads use this all the time to ease out unhappy staff mid term. Joke's on them.

11. Mrsmumbles

image.jpeg
    I likes this one....it's just so me...

12. Mrsmumbles

Oh my gawd I've just realised its the same boat in daylight! Spooky...

13. install

install Star commenter

[QUOTE="SLouise91, post: 11856911, member: 302317 I feel so stressed /QUOTE]

See your Doctor and if they agree that you are ill then take sick leave.

It may be that you take your sick leave nearer home but that may make you better.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

I have had nearly a whole bottle of Verdicchio so let's par-TAYYYYYYY!

Should you leave? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yeah, put in to leave at xmas, you'd have to deal with the come down from the school but should still be able to enjoy yourself. If you don't you'll be even more stressed off you face and you won't enjoy xmas at all.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

Go on supply. Move back home. Insist on £100 per day. Minimum. Work 5 days per week.

17. Mrsmumbles

If you teach Maths or Science, or if you don't teach these subjects but are 35 or under, I would say you would get another job very easily. Look at the numbers. Start to crunch. Do you have a mortgage? If not, you could maybe relocate to a cheaper area to rent?

peggylu likes this.
  18. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

No, we can't make this decision for you. Nor are we qualified to give advice. If it is making you unwell - GP. If the situation is untenable - union. If you want to know the possible outcomes of stuff like NI contributions - Citizen's Advice Bureau.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that if you are off while you recover from the effects of stress there will be a big sorting out of the school and you will return to a different place having missed all the upheavals. Then you can decide what to do.

When stressed and ill with stress it is very tempting to resign, but there are other, less final, ways of making the stress end, and you will still have the option of resigning.

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

This link gives leaving dates from the NUT website. It says that leaving at half term can only be done by agreement with the school.
    http://local.teachers.org.uk/barnet/Resignation.cfm

Like many who post on this forum you are feeling completely overwhelmed and stressed. Here are some options:
    • Stay in your current job but is the situation going to improve? When will the stress and expectations start to lessen if ever? How long before your physical and mental health start to suffer.
    • Resign and look for a job closer to your parents. They may be able to help out temporarily with accommodation
    • Resigning half way through a school year may not look good on your CV and you may not get a good reference from your school which may affect your career prospects if you want to stay in teaching.
    • Taking a lower paid job outside of teaching may be better for your general well-being. If you are talented and work hard, promotion opportunities may well open up for you even after a short time.
    • You may well land a job that pays more than you currently earn with far less stress but you'll never find it if you don't start looking.
    • From the tone of your OP you are not coping very well at the moment. Is your health worth sacrificing for your current job. You are unattached and have no roots put down in the area you currently work so there is nothing to keep you in your current job. Get you notice in NOW before the 31st October or else you will be stuck for another term.