1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When can I leave on the last day of term?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Rosaceae, Jul 21, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I never attended the leaving things - not even my own. I just made sure that it got back to the person organising it

Lilysowner likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

3. Betterreadthandead

Betterreadthandead New commenter

Good grief who cares about the head! Leave for goodness sake!

4. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

You need some perspective here.
    I imagine you are emotionally and physically exhausted.
    My best advice is either slip away quietly and contact the nice ones in your own way or stay and endure it knowing it won't last forever.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

I can't quite believe anyone posted this. I'd expect almost all teachers to care that they behave properly and professionally towards their head.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think the point is that if the HT has reasonable expectations and attitudes towards their staff, you should reciprocate. If they are a total nightmare to work for, you do professionally what you have to, but can quite happily ignore the rest (which definitely includes post school term jollies...).

You reap what you sow...

7. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Exactly. When the head has behaved unprofessionally...... The last head I worked for did not speak to me at all from when I handed in my very polite letter of resignation nor did her deputies. Her office was next to my teaching room! No one in Slt thanked me for my work and that included the deputy who worked in my department. When people are so rude why bother with them.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Bit limiting, no?
    Personally I'd expect all teachers to care that they behave properly and professionally towards every single one of their colleagues, rather than dose out propriety in relation to somebody's place in a hierarchy.
    Head Teachers do not automatically warrant or require deference from those with whom they interact on their staff merely by virtue of their job title.
    Unless they're in a Dickens novel.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

I agree with you completely and utterly...but I was answering someone who said 'Good Grief! Who cares about the head?'.

Piranha and starlightexpress like this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

As the OP hasn't been back since the day they posted the question, I'm assuming they worked something out and either went or didn't and is happily enjoying their summer break.
    Seems pointless offering advice.

agathamorse and catmother like this.
  11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Maybe the farewell speeches are still going on! :)

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If the speeches are making you feel sick-nip out of the room to the toilet. If you really feel sick, and spend ages in there, what can they do about it?