1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When can babies sleep safely on their front?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by glitterkid, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Title says it all. LO is 6 months old (crikey! where did that time go?!) and just started rolling over this week. Although I'm delighted at how quickly he's progressed from struggling to roll over once to rolling over 3 times in succession, it leaves me a bit curious about sleeping. I put him to bed on his back but last night we were woken loads by him squealing because he'd rolled over and was squashed against the cot bars. I went to check on him during his nap a few minutes ago and he's lying on his tummy sound asleep. i flipped him over (soooooo carefully, his napping is rubbish!) and he's still asleep. What age do "they" say babies can snooze on their tummies?

2. Title says it all. LO is 6 months old (crikey! where did that time go?!) and just started rolling over this week. Although I'm delighted at how quickly he's progressed from struggling to roll over once to rolling over 3 times in succession, it leaves me a bit curious about sleeping. I put him to bed on his back but last night we were woken loads by him squealing because he'd rolled over and was squashed against the cot bars. I went to check on him during his nap a few minutes ago and he's lying on his tummy sound asleep. i flipped him over (soooooo carefully, his napping is rubbish!) and he's still asleep. What age do "they" say babies can snooze on their tummies?

3. I think 'they' say (I've read in a couple of books) that as soon as baby can roll onto their front and happily sleep then it is safe to leave them because they can move if they need to. I think it is probably mostly because you'll just have to keep rolling them back...carefully(!) so it becomes pointless. Mine isn't at that stage yet though and I can imagine it's a bit worrying when it first happens.

4. Thanks for the quick repsonse, historychick. That advice makes sense. I think because you hear so much about the importance of placing baby on their backs to sleep it seems odd when they naturally try to sleep on their tummies. I watched him go to sleep last night and he did a fair bit of rolling and wriggling around before dropping off (to sleep! Not out of bed!). I fear this is the start of difficulties getting his to sleep![​IMG]

5. We had the same problem with our little girl, she's almost 1 but started rolling over in her sleep a few months ago!
    I didn't like this though because she could easily roll from back to front but not front to back so we sometimes placed pillows either side to stop this happening. it worked well but i know some people would be worried about this!
    just make sure there are no loose bits of fabric and that thepillows are quite low- about babies waist height!

6. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Try not to worry too much. I remember my LO started rolling onto his tummy at 5 months and I was so worried so the first couple of times I put him back on his back but he would roll back onto his tummy in his sleep. In fact, that is when he started to sleep better because he could get into a more comfortable position. As long as you keep the cot free of soft toys and pillows it should be fine. I think the danger lies in when the parent puts the baby straight on their tummy before the baby knows how to roll over themself, which is obviously not the case with your LO.

7. As he is rolling himself it is safe- they say to place baby on back to sleep but not to worry if they roll over.
    As long as the cot is kept free from pillows, duvets and toys which provide some risk of suffocation- you will be fine.

8. Thanks for all the replies! He sleeps in a sleeping bag and there's nothing else in his cot so I feel confident he's safe enough.

9. Tha sounds like a very cute way to sleep, bet she looks adorable! We have a sensor too which makes me feel a lot more secure. He was rolling around yesterday on his mat and the!n two minutes later was asleep on his tummy, so I think he might be turning into a tummy sleeper too.

That said, we had an awful night's sleep last night as he kept rolling all around the cot and waking himself up [​IMG]

10. My little girl is a tummy sleeper too- after many painful sleepless nights we let her sleep like that -we were always with her shen she was asleep (with a sensor pads). I think it is fine at this age- but this parenting thing is scary! It is a cute way to sleep...

11. it is rather cute! Got a few pictures of her sleeping like that. Apparently I used lol [​IMG]
    For those who are rolling and hitting the sides of the cot, we went through that stage. I bought an Air Wrap. Its a bumper that goes around the whole cot, its padded but also its breathable... I tried breathing through it and was fine...
    2 sided bumper - http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_2530_10751_-1_14601_92171_10001_
    4 sided bumper - http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_2530_10751_-1_14601_92169_10001_

12. I know! I mentioned it to the doctor when I was there yesterday and she said the same thing, flyhalf!