1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When best to sign up to a supply agency?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by kerensky78, Jun 11, 2019.

1. kerensky78

kerensky78 New commenter

Is it better to sign up to a supply agency now for next academic year or wait until September? Currently on a maternity contract at a secondary school that is ending soon and don't have work as yet for September.

With time running out to find something more permanent for then. I'm now weighing up my options as to what to do for the best. I'm a UPS 3 teacher and missed out getting the job on my last interview due to a cheaper 'younger' model. Getting therefore slightly disheartened and think supply maybe my way forward. (Don't teach a shortage subject).

2. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Sign up now. They will be looking into long term starting in September and you might get a role.

Mermaid7 and les25paul like this.
  3. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Yes, sign up now. It will allow time for the DBS checks.

Mermaid7 likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

One thing to bear in mind if you sign up too early, is that you might fall out of compliance before the agency finds you work. Some agencies do this after as little as three months.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Q, When is best?
    A, As a last resort.

peter12171 and Mermaid7 like this.
  6. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

This is tricky. DBS can take up to 12 weeks to come through which would suggest it's better to sign up now for September, but many agencies will insist on taking another set of references if you haven't done any work for them in the previous 3 months, so you could have to provide more references if you don't get any work the first few weeks of September.