1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When bad behaviour gets worse?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mathsboy3, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I am currently teaching KS3/KS4 in a school where the discipline system is not working.
    Behaviour has gone downhill since the start of the year because students realise the consequences for poor behaviour are non existent!
    For example, telling a teacher to 'f*** off' results in being sent home (a day off!!) and then a day in isolation with their tutor on return.
    The refusal to follow instructions is a daily occurrence!! Students regularly play on mobile phones then refuse to hand over following numerous warnings!!
    They never (or very rarely) attend detentions, even with senior leaders, and there seems to be no consequence to this!
    To my knowledge, the school has excluded only 2 students so far this year and they were both for assault (teachers being punched and kicked).
    The inclusive policy of keeping students in class at all costs is having a massive negative effect on the learning of all and the morale of staff!!
    I am fairly new to teaching (2nd year) and have to say, this is not what I expected to find.
    I find I do very little teaching but a massive amount of crowd control!!
    I can't wait for the end of the year!!
    Any advice would be welcome!!

2. I am currently teaching KS3/KS4 in a school where the discipline system is not working.
    Behaviour has gone downhill since the start of the year because students realise the consequences for poor behaviour are non existent!
    For example, telling a teacher to 'f*** off' results in being sent home (a day off!!) and then a day in isolation with their tutor on return.
    The refusal to follow instructions is a daily occurrence!! Students regularly play on mobile phones then refuse to hand over following numerous warnings!!
    They never (or very rarely) attend detentions, even with senior leaders, and there seems to be no consequence to this!
    To my knowledge, the school has excluded only 2 students so far this year and they were both for assault (teachers being punched and kicked).
    The inclusive policy of keeping students in class at all costs is having a massive negative effect on the learning of all and the morale of staff!!
    I am fairly new to teaching (2nd year) and have to say, this is not what I expected to find.
    I find I do very little teaching but a massive amount of crowd control!!
    I can't wait for the end of the year!!
    Any advice would be welcome!!

3. Have you tried bribes? Like sticker charts (I know it sounds lame but the older kids seem to like them and the competition it brings...) so after so many lessons, if they behave well you'll let them watch a film or the class will ge a prize...I find KS 3 respond well to praise and stickers. My Y7s hated being kept in at breaktimes and lunches so I'd add up the minutes I would wait for them to be quiet and then expected them in at break or lunch for that amount of time, and took a register to make sure they all turned up...Hope that helps!

4. I tried giving reward stickers to individuals early in the year but I found that the same handful of students got them lesson after lesson, the rest were simply not interested, and the novelty soon wore off!
    Lollypops for the first to complete the starter is again good for a few but the majority don't want to know!!
    Funny you should say start a sticker chart though, because a colleague is about to do the same thing so I think I'll give it a go.
    Thanks for the suggestions - it's the first time I've put a post on here so it's good to see that someone is taking the time to read them and better still that they're taking the time to reply!

5. Hey, you must work at my school. Same here. Except our Head as implemented a 'No exclusion' policy. So even assualt of, and theft from, teachers has not resulted in permanent exclusion. The warning system for bad behaviour in classrooms has been changed so that most teachers no longer bother challenging bad behaviour in the classroom. I have been pushed and sworn at and called a paedeophile many times (for telling girls their skirt is too long). The standard SLT response was, "Do you have proof?"
    When kids can't be bothered to turn up for detention, nothing much happens. What were one and two day exclusions now result on being put on report. If they don't get the report filled in, nothing happens. We now have a cosy suite of rooms where kids on internal exclusion sit in boots where they can play computer games all day, and are fed with biscuits sweets and squash, hot chocolate or tea by the very nice, but inept, ladies that run the facility. They even get to jump the food queues at lunchtime.
    In just 3 years our new headteacher (a Dolores Umbridge-like pink lady, in all aspects) has turned an oversubscribed well respected school into a school for miniskirted chavs with just enough applicants to fill the available Year 7 places and a very poor reputation for behaviour and uniform.
    Smoking and drugs are rife in the school, and the teachers now bunker down at lunchtime or go off site to avoid confrontations. Bullying and physical assault are now daily problems. We have tried all the rewards things and whilst they worked for a bit, they became bribes for the miscreants to behave for a minute or two and eventually they were as bad as before but now demand the rewards too.
    I just hope that the head leaves and soon. What you describe in your school is almost certainly the fault of the head. It is at ours. she has lost the respect of all the kids, and most of the staff (with the exception of the lickspittles on the SLT) and parents and the local community. She doesn't see it of course.

6. Yes, we could well be describing the same schools - awful places to work, no job satisfaction, can't wait till Friday nights, weekends too short, holidays great but not long enough!!!
    You have put even more detail in than me, but it all still holds true eg. losing respect of all, but with a few 'lickspittles' from the SLT(as you politely call them - we have other words to describe them!!) tending to agree that 'behaviour seems to be improving'.
    Responsibility ultimately comes back to the person at the top as, in our case, he seems reluctant to even acknowledge that any problem exists with behaviour - 'The problem lies with you, the teacher - you need to plan your lessons with a little more variety, excitement and adventure - no wonder they misbehave, your lessons are dull!!!'
    Believe it or not, we were actually told that!!!!
    Until someone with a 'bit of spine' comes in and takes over, the kids will continue to 'rule the roost'!!
    Ultimately, the downward spiral of results and failure will eventually bring him down!

7. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Been there, got the T shirt. Get out as soon as you can. If you have the issues you have mentioned and the SLT are a bunch of lilly livered cowards who won't support their Staff then it just isn't worth the agro or emotional disturbance.
    Seriously, if you want a long career, with no long term health issues, get out NOW !!

8. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

"almost"? There are no two ways about it. An inadequate head will destroy a school - and then get another headship somewhere else, and do it all over again and again and again.

9. This could almost any school anywhere!!! Stilllets be honest here, less experienced teachers, cheapc annon fodder NQT's(my heart goes out to you), more cover supervisors, more HLTA's running classes all adds up to a recipe of disaster and I think we are seeing the beginning of it now. One of the most frustrating and total ridiculous things is heads that are happy to stand by and watch and then, have the audacity to criticise and ask stupid questions of teachers in the firing line and invariably tell them 'its your planning' not the kids remember you are the adult!!!!! If some of them left their offices, went into classrooms and became<u> HEAD TEACHERS</u> again instead of would be managers on salary that do not always match their achievments, they might just start to realise what is going on and actually start to do something about it. I want to know where these heads come from, they must have taught at sometime why are they so blind to what is happening? If heads are not respected, and many of them are not (by students that is) I do not think teachers stand a chance.

10. Too long?? How can a skirt be too long??

11. Oops. Too short!!

12. theNavigator

theNavigator New commenter

What a ridiculous situation! Why would anyone want to stay working in these schools? Masochism comes in a variety of forms, apparently. Wasn't there a school in England a couple of months ago, where the staff got together and went on strike because the SMT were so useless and the bad behaviour rampant, with no management support for teachers? Got the LEA to pay attention for a start. If a teacher can be physically assaulted, and the pupil responsible not bounced, permanently, to the curb, then it's pointless wasting your life in such a hole.

13. The problem is there are no jobs, so needs keep people in these terrible schools. Shame the LEA and headteachers don't do something about it.