1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When are you working up to?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nearly qualified, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am due in July - due on the Friday as my school closes the follwing Thursday. I have put my actual due date down as my last day to work as I wanted my maternity to leave after I had had the baby (as I am dueat beginning of my holiday my pay is worse off!)
    However my HT has asked me about 4 times now when I am planning on leaving (I gave him a letter explainign dates and also told him lots of times) but he keeps asking me.
    I am wondering if I am leaving it a bit late to be finishing? I am within my rights to put that date down as my start date though aren't I and if I need to finish before then I can change my mind? Is that right?
    Thanks x

2. Hi
    I am due in July - due on the Friday as my school closes the follwing Thursday. I have put my actual due date down as my last day to work as I wanted my maternity to leave after I had had the baby (as I am dueat beginning of my holiday my pay is worse off!)
    However my HT has asked me about 4 times now when I am planning on leaving (I gave him a letter explainign dates and also told him lots of times) but he keeps asking me.
    I am wondering if I am leaving it a bit late to be finishing? I am within my rights to put that date down as my start date though aren't I and if I need to finish before then I can change my mind? Is that right?
    Thanks x

3. It's really hard to gauge how you will be feeling at that point. I was due in August but I wasn't very happy at work so I decided to treat myself and finish at the start of July when I was 34 weeks. At that point I felt fine and kicked myself as I could have carried on. However when I got to about 36 weeks i got tired very quickly. It was hot and I was swollen all over! I was very happy that I wasn't at work.
    Another thing is at that time you very rarely sleep well. I used to lie awake all night sometimes. You are very uncomfortable and obviously anxious about the big change.
    Personally I would give myself a little bit of time beforehand. I think it's important to have a rest and make the most of the last precious moments alone as you will rarely get them again!
    Also the baby can come anytime from 37 weeks so may take you by suprise! My little monkey was 8 days late though so I was bored stiff by the time he arrived!

4. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

I left work on a Friday and had my last baby on the following Wednesday. Like you I wanted my mat leave after the birth. I wish I could have taken a couple of weeks off beforehand but really couldn't afford to and wanted the time off afterwards.
    Good luck.

5. Thank you.
    How can you give 28 days notice though if you want to change your mind - surely you wouldn't know a month in advance?
    I am planning on working as far as I can up to the date but presume if I have to take time off sick before it comes then it will automatically kick start the maternity leave anyway so think I am going to leave it that way.
    I do worry about how knackered I will be (I teach FS and they are tiring anyway) but I do have a fantastic TA who hasn;t let me do anything since she found out! So hoepfully I will have enough hands on deck at work to give me a hand. Its also for the children's sake - I have a really lovely class this year and am gutted I am not going to be with them right up until the end of the year - going to miss the end of year celebration assemblies and all sorts (though I expect that will be the last thing on my mind later on!) x

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I did! I'd planned on leaving at 38 weeks (which would've coincided with May half term) but decided to leave at 36 weeks as i'd had enough! I work in quite a tough secondary school. My son was 10 days late, but I really enjoyed the time i had before that and am so glad I left when I did.
    This time i'm leaving at 37 weeks which coincides with the Easter holidays, so actually don't officially start ML until i'm 39 weeks. I work part time now though so it's easier.

7. I was due mid july and we finish at the end of june here in NI. I worked up til the end of June (primary) as like you, I wanted my mat leave after. TBH I found it a real struggle after 35 weeks but managed to make it up to the end when I was 37.5 weeks.

I'm thinking of baby number 2 now and think I'd leave a lot sooner, mostly to spend time with baby number 1, but also to get a bit of rest (mum would take baby for me). I had SPD and it made me very sore and the heat in the summer had me so dizzy sometimes.
    You can always change your mind!

8. I am due mid June and am planning on finishing at 36 weeks so middle of May. I am exhausted already though and may change it to 34 weeks. I am going to see how I feel in a couple of weeks and if I want to change my finishing date I will still be within the 28 days notice that's required.

9. I was due on 31st July so put that as my first day of mat leave. Worked right up to end of summer term (even choreographing the year 6 leavers' performance!) I was 38 weeks and felt great so it can be done. This meant I've had my mat leave all after the birth. LO was 8 days late in the end so did get a couple of weeks rest in before she arrived which was good! Good luck! xx

10. I thought you had to start your leave on a Sunday? Or is that when you return?! Something to think about maybe.

11. Oh- sorry- you can start on your due date. It must be that you have to return on a Sunday......

12. My Business Manager told me it did have to start on a Sunday, is that not true?

13. That's not true! I heard that too, propably read it here actually... On my paperwork it says I can start mat leave on any day of the week.

14. Baby due mid-July and I'm planning to leave at 38 weeks... Some people think I'm mad (in my home country women go off much earlier than that and there's no financial difference). I wish I could stop earlier but it's all down to money sadly :-(

15. Me too... I'm due 17th August and will try my best to work up to end of term. So i'm guessing i'll be around 36+2??
    To others, I think I would try and go as far as I can due to finances too, but due to the physical strains I would probably have to consider leaving around 35 to 36 weeks anyway as advised by my midwife. Your health/welfare is very important, but I totally know how you all feel as I want more time with baby after birth.
    So even working to end of term for me may be a struggle :( BUT I will do my damn hardest to get there because I'm not missing out on 3 free weeks of summer hols pay if I don't manage my last few days!!

16. Hello,
    I am so glad that you are doing what I am doing. We close on Wednesday, and I am due on the Saturday, byt putting down the Saturday as my leave date.
    Yes you are within your rights, and my school has accepted my date. My reckoning is that end of term is quite easy and nice and stress-free, so I won't get any hassle or stress. I also think that I would be much better off amongst people the days before I am due as I know that at home I will feel fat, hot and will worry like anything about the labour, me being a new mum, etc, etc.
    If you are struggling come June/July, you can always start your leave early. If you take a day off sick, pregnancy related, your maternity leave can automatically start from then.
    Good luck, and please let me know what you decide. It is nice knowing someone else is doing what I am, and that I'm not mad for doing so!!