1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When are you getting it up?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 23, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A curtain pole will keep it erect for sure.

Long and hard... just the job.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Last night I sat in darkness because I was too embarrassed to let them know what I’d been up to. I think today I might just boldly flash away.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Ours goes up in the bay window (no curtains!). Keeps those pesky neighbours from niosying around.

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Mid-December, I think. HM is in charge.

I like the lights but I'm not a Christmas-person anyway. I don't care that much.

I'm not sending cards. We're all doing Macmillan donations round here instead. Lavish gifts are out. Well, I'm a cheapskate so I never did lavish gifts. Gotta be honest. Ugh, very modest gifts will be the order of the day.

"Dear Daughters and Grandchildren, here's a bank transfer. Sort it out!" They're used to me. What can I say? I'm a Quaker. They know I don't do ostentation.

frangipani123 and Jamvic like this.
  5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Grumpy, have you read the rest of the posts?...:D

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Mine is erected a few days before Christmas and stays up till New Year's Day. That really should be enough for anyone on an annual basis.

sbkrobson, nomad, Norsemaid and 3 others like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Does it need any support to stay up that long?

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A couple of stiff ones before the in-laws come round to admire on Christmas eve.

ms honey, Jamvic and towncryer like this.
  9. Over_the_hill

@shadders has a stiff one I’m sure he’d be happy to lend you?

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Having re-read my initial post (at which point I hadn’t detected the ‘tone’ of this thread), I wish to submit a revised version:

Having got ours out of storage and taken it out of it’s box for the once a year erection, we have decided that it is too large, too labour intensive and fiddly to get it into the right position. Once up, it also takes up too much space in the living room.
    We have offered it for free on our local market site, along with a range of additional accessories and it was snapped up by a local young couple who I am sure will make full use of it and better appreciate it’s size.
    For us? We will go for a more low key and low energy affair, more befitting our position in life. Mustn’t forget to buy a good stock of batteries.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

We don't bother with an erected one nor a non-erected one. We just drape fairy lights all round and continually flash our neighbours and anyone passing. Everyone needs flashing during this season.

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Absolutely, top of any Christmas list. Remember though size counts.

1ED9F3E3-CEE6-4299-8FEA-DD2AB5B5D4A6.jpeg

13. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Oh, I've loved this thread! We will having several erections - one in the lounge, one in the dining room, one in the hall and maybe one upstairs - but not for a few weeks. There will be some flashing lights and lots of colourful balls - can't wait! :D:D

Jamvic, colpee and (deleted member) like this.
  14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

My mother used to insist on having it up all year round - even when it had got brown and brittle with the constant exposure to the light. It was definitely a talking point in July!

nomad, Jamvic, colpee and 1 other person like this.
  15. Over_the_hill

I’ve had to adjust mine today because it wasn’t pleasing to the eye. I’ve tied some shorter pieces of cotton around the baubles so they are hanging slightly higher now.

primarycat, Jamvic and colpee like this.
  16. Doitforfree

We got one with built in lights from a closing down sale. My husband's going to take it into the office for his collegues to enjoy.

Jamvic and ms honey like this.
  17. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

A couple of weeks and ours will be upright in all its sparkly glory, still fond of it even though its getting on a bit.
    I've usually had enough of it after new year though

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@Dunteachin

No, I didn't.

I assumed it was about trees! Or rather trees were used to introduce unrelieved smut before being promptly set aside/felled.

But we know I don't indulge in such tacky nonsense. ;):)

Jamvic, bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  19. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Our village vicar would disagree with you. He always gets it up on 1st Dec - for the start of advent apparently. It usually involves a lot of grunting in the churchyard and then he encourages folk to go and sing round the base of it. I try to avoid it as its just embarrassing - some of them are so out of tune! There's usually a strep throat infection goes round like wildfire in the days following.

20. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I'm intrigued - who is the deleted member who likes some of our posts - am I allowed to ask?