1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When are the hiring cycles for International Schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Tigerlearn, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Tigerlearn

Tigerlearn New commenter

For a role starting in September, when do International schools usually start hiring? Also, what is the typical process, given that in-house interviews and demo classes seem unlikely?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. MEC2013

MEC2013 New commenter

varied

3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The recruiting season has already started with most schools hiring between December and March for an August/September start. Schools use Skype for interviews as well as meeting applicants at fairs. If you want to get a job overseas, get yourself signed up on Search Associates and start looking for jobs on TES. Many schools ask their teachers to give notice in December so January/February will be the peak time for job ads.

Symondsacs likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i can only comment on IB schools, as i have only worked in IB schools.

the main season, which seems to get earlier and earlier every year, runs from around the end of September to the end of February for the main hiring of classroom teachers, SMT would be before this. there are obviously still jobs available all the way up to the end of the year, but a lot of schools will try and get it done as early as possible. my current and previous school tried to get everything done by Christmas if possible.

the two main recruitment fairs in Bangkok and London are at the end of January, beginning of February.

Symondsacs likes this.
  5. Tigerlearn

Tigerlearn New commenter

Thanks so much for your answers- it seems it all starts much sooner than I realised!

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

it has a lot to do with the visa process of getting a works visa for you. in some countries this can be immense. they also have a lot to organise like flights, accommodation, medical insurance etc. a lot of these places aren't very efficient, and these processes can take a very long time.

7. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Also do not be mistaken about demo classss. They might ask for a video or even wish to Skype in. I have known the former to be asked for.

8. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter

I applied last year and am teaching in Qatar this year. The posts go up early enough. There will be jobs going up this side of Christmas for the following August. I would begin applying ASAP. I was quite picky with where I wanted to apply, so I was still applying in March and April, so there will be still jobs then. I wrote a blog on websites to apply to and how I applied if you want to check it out :)
    Livingthedohadream.blogspot.com

Noor0706 likes this.