1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when are SAT's results back in school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 666, Jun 21, 2011.

1. juninho10

juninho10 New commenter

Many of my lower ability pupils wrote a headline in the present tense, by-line in the present tense and the main article in past tense. This is quite sophisticated and perfect for a newspaper report. However, it is not taken into account for TS+O or C+E.

Seethe.

2. Actually it is.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Milgod,
    Re:
    I had three girls who are certainly L5 writers miss out (unless they lower the threshold to 35). Even my top writer in the class, who I would call a top L5, only managed 39 in total.
    It happens - this is only a test, where just about anything can happen. It's set by strangers, marked by strangers and the result is, in reality, only an estimated level, after all. It can't be anything else when you take a serious look at the NC level descriptors for Writing.
    I know how frustrating this kind of "result" can be but you'll have stressed to the children and their parents that, although, legally, your TA is only 50% of the end of key stage result, it's actually the more valid 50%! So, they'll take more notice of your "over time" assessment than of the "snapshot".

Won't they?

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Markuss, your optimism made me laugh out loud. Thank you [​IMG]

5. markuss

OK! You're welcome.
    Suppose I taught in a different era. I could, and did, often, say the above to children, parents, headteacher, governors, Ofsted, even and they took my word (as HoD English, Secondary) for it. I was also respected as a bit of an expert in the assessment field, I guess.
    It was just so obvious - didn't take vast knowledge of assessment principles to explain or to realize the truth of it but still needed saying because of the "testing" paranoia that was developing.
    So, are you not allowed to point out the deficiencies in a test style assesssment of English Writing compared with continuous TA? They are so obvious. Any idiot could see them.
    (I was helped by a very supportive LEA advisory/inspecting team of experts who were red hot on assessment and were well respected.)
    You know what I said above was true, I hope!

6. markuss

(They even believed and supported me when I told children and parents the truth that national curriculm tests were not and never had been the same as "sats". But I've stopped banging that drum now. Everybody knows it, I hope.)

7. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Yes, I know what you said was true. My head knows it's true. Our School Improvement Partner knows it's true.

Unfortunately, in my school at least, the parents are very focussed on test results, despite it being pointed out many times by many different people that TA is more accurate for exactly the reasons you cite. I suppose that may be down to the area I work in and the competitiveness of our parents and those at the other local primaries. Also, our past two Ofsteds have focussed mainly on our Writing NCT results. They have never asked to see my teacher assessment, never mind the evidence that backs it up. Oh well.

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I pretty much told them that the tests didn't mean that much and to just do their best. I know they did because they are that sort of class, they want to do well for themselves as well as for me.

However, that wasn't the point I was making. I was trying to say that this year's marking was odd. Very little range from top to bottom as usual. It was just frustrating is all. I will, of course, stick to my TA. Most parents will be happy with that, but as I'm sure many have experienced, some parents just care about the Sats.

9. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

Similar problem in mine - results in line with TA in maths (you can't really argue much, can you?), and very pleased with reading - two thirds made level 5, which is great! Writing is.. a bit wierd. Only 10% at level 5, but only 10% below level 4! Very little spread in mark range at all, using last year's thresholds. Even more odd is the jump up from the highest level 4 to the lowest level 5, of about 10 marks overall! I would expect much more gradiation.
    Won't analyse anything for a week, but it's either the marking or the task that's not worked well.