1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when are SAT's results back in school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 666, Jun 21, 2011.

1. OK enlighten me with your wealth of experience or how about prove your expertise on all matters regarding teaching.

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

See above.

3. How about about your actual teaching <u>expertise</u>?

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Well anyone can claim anything on this forum, so it would be a bit of a waste of time really. I'll leave others to judge that based on the accuracy and content of what I post.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Don't they just!!! Sooo hope it is the case!

Mathis is now back and a disaster at level 4 and above, but not too bad at 5 and above.

6. OK - I'll leave it that (but only because I know you want to have the last word and stand the victor) and for me, I don't come on the forum to argue - I just like seeing what people think about current issues and learn from advice and suggestions on teaching and learning.

WolfPaul - you are the expert and the champion of everthing that has to be exact, correct and accurate.[​IMG]

7. Are there any set criteria for asking for writing to be remarked? My inexperienced literacy coordinator is telling me we can only ask for it if a might make a difference to the overall literacy level. Is that right

8. No,as far as I know I think you can send back any you disagree with

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

It's wrong. You can ask for a remark if there is a potential change to a component level (ie Writing or Reading) too.

10. elg

elg

We got the maths back yesterday and just as I was reaching for the blue bags the head said to me, "Are you sure you want to do this to yourself?!" Ha! Fortunately he hadn't opened them by that point so at least he wasn't saying it with the knowledge that they'd done really badly!
    Fairly similar picture to you minnieminx. L5 not too bad, but there are some L3s that we weren't expecting. My eyes are swimming with different spreadsheets and numbers now! My new favourite line is, "Progress from last year looks like it's going to be excellent!" as I'm now fed up with, "Our potential levels look somewhat lower than their predicted levels, based on KS1 results."
    Whatever the thresholds come back as on Tuesday, it's fair to say my evening will involve wine.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This has become our (other year 6 teacher and my) mantra as well!

Head was ok about writing being not too good as reading was excellent so English overall was fine. He isn't quite so ok about the level 4 maths.

12. elg

elg

Exactly the same response from our head! You can see he's trying to hide it though as he just keeps saying, "Well, let's wait until the thresholds come in before we panic." Just using the word 'panic' makes me panic!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ours said 'well we'll need to come up with a strategy for next year and a report for this year'. Errr well I can make excuses for this year (though I didn't have the lower half, so it is trickier) and my strategy for success next year is to move me to KS1 which he is doing! There sorted!

Yeah that word panic makes me worry as well. But I'm not sure the thresholds will be low enough to make a massive difference.

We have transition day soon and so year 6 will be out. Nearly a whole day for us to look through the papers and hopefully find some massive errors. Like my certain level 5 child who had consistently got 30+ on both maths papers since the end of year 5 and ends up with 23 on one and 25 on the other! WHAT?????

14. OUrs back too!
    Not actually looked at the papers yet as we only got them late on today, but if threshold is same as last year the reading is perfect, writing is odd and maths fine! Still will be our highest levels ever - but going to have to have a good look at the writing as it looks like some of my better writers not hit their expected target! But whats going to happen??? Higher the thresholds and blame the Labour Government??? Or Lower them to show how the Coalition has made a huge impact in 12 months?????????????????????????????????????????

15. I don't give a flying whatever about the thresholds as our highly able pupils have all achieved L5 in English overall. What angers me is the fact that some of our highly able writers have achieved the same mark in composition and effect (long write) as our predicted L3 pupils.
    IMHO the task was at fault. Any highly motivated, talented writer will try to demonstrate their originality (i.e. thinking of a record breaking attempt that wasn't explicitly suggested on the paper). Whereas, the lower ability pupils will produce a parrot-fashion piece which satisfies the idiots-guide-to-marking criteria. However, how on earth can a marker who is inexperienced/ is unable to mark without looking at the examples in the markscheme/hasn't taught Y6 English, possibly cope with the subtleties of language exemplified by our very brightest writers? Oh yeah...just give them all Level 4 and hope that your marking line manager will swallow it without calling you in for being too generous or too harsh.
    Pathetic.

16. Ours arrived today. Hope the thresholds are the same as last year - means I'll have trained my performing monkeys to jump through the government hoops well enough to keep us from becoming an academy...

17. DITTO

18. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Exactly the same as ours. There is very little range in the writing scores. Overall English I'm happy enough, but the writing is just strange.
    I had three girls who are certainly L5 writers miss out (unless they lower the threshold to 35). Even my top writer in the class, who I would call a top L5, only managed 39 in total.

19. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

To whoever marked our writing.....thank you...I love you I love you......and please be our marker next year....... xxxxxxxx

20. I just don't know how I can wait out until Tuesday!