1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when are SAT's results back in school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 666, Jun 21, 2011.

1. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

The Bew report is only recommendation at the moment.......so hope it comes in for next year, but won't hold my breath.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

English back today.

Overall the scores were alright. A reasonable number of L5s going on 70 as the threshold.

However, writing was strange. There seemed to be a lot of the lower/middle doing better than I thought and the top doing worse. There was not much range in the scores at all. I have a child who I would call a solid L5 (my TA says 5b) who only scored 35 out of 50. Very odd marking IMO.

3. I am aware that we haven't got the thresholds through yet, however, let's face it we have all added t the marks! Just checking you add the short write, plus spelling ( what the score equates to not the raw score) the long write and reading together. Our scores seem so good!! Please reassure me!!!

4. That's what I've done!! Spelling seems strange this year ... although our over-all English is better than expected with or without the spelling mark!

5. Echo this. Glad that others feel this way as it will add to the weight for those calling for writing to assessed over a period of time by teacher assessment. Three years in a row now that my top writers have missed out despite LA approvement of my teaching at that level. [​IMG]

6. Let's hope that Bew report isn't ignored as even Gove has come out and said it makes sense (although that is no doubt because he wants to replace the writing with a tedious grammar and punctuation test that we'll all have to start preparing our year 6 for!)
    On a happier note, we got our maths back today and they were good! Only one on a borderline for L5, so fingers crossed about that. The rest were right on TA (as they should be really!) There doesn't seem to be any patterns (children did equally well in both papers and mental maths was as they normally score in practise). Nearly time to put my feet up for the summer after another bloody hard year!

7. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

So many valid points in this thread. Good luck to everyone over the next few weeks.

8. highway61

highway61 New commenter

"Approvement"??!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It's a lovely word though... :)

10. [​IMG] Er, I meant approval.
    This does not do much to back up my argument of teaching higher level writing well, does it?!
    (I blame my 10 month old son who was distracting me as I was writing!) [​IMG]

11. Maths papers back today. Hoping that the level 5 threshold is slightly lower than last year as so many children between 75 and 78! Seems unlikely but one can hope.

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Sorry this simply isn't true. Here are the writing thresholds since 1999:
    1999 Writing level thresholds
    Level Lower Upper
    N 0-18
    3 19-30
    4 31-38
    5 39-50

2000 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-18
    3 19-30
    4 31-38
    5 39-50

2001 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-18
    3 19-30
    4 31-38
    5 39-50

2002 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-18
    3 19-30
    4 31-38
    5 39-50

2003 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-12
    3 13-24
    4 25-36
    5 37-50

2004 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-11
    3 12-22
    4 23-33
    5 34-50

2005 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-12
    3 13-24
    4 25-36
    5 37-50

2006 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-12
    3 13-24
    4 25-36
    5 37-50

2007 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-11
    3 12-24
    4 25-36
    5 37-50

2008 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-11
    3 12-24
    4 25-36
    5 37-50

2009 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-10
    3 11-24
    4 25-35
    5 36-50

2010 Writing level thresholds
    N 0-11
    3 12-24
    4 25-36
    5 37-50

You seem to mis-informed yet again, trainer.

13. I'm with you on the 3A's for writing. I have 7 children on 24 marks. Last year they needed 25 for a level 4. Very frustrating![​IMG]

14. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

I am a bit anal, and use excel;
    add two marks to the spelling score, divide it by 3 and throw away the remainder
    or =int((score+2)/3)

15. WolfPaul
    OOHH - here is a good game for someone with nothing better to do with their time. Why not trawl through the forum to try and find an error. The possibilites are endless, infact I can't wait to get started...actually I don't think I will!

16. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I didn't need to trawl through anything. I simply read this thread and knew you were wrong. I'm not sure why you are misleading teachers on this forum, though.

17. And I'm not sure what you why you are so keen to pick fault with everything including opinions and observations. Usually, those who shout so loudly about exact guidelines, dates and criteria instead of using common sense are trying to cover for their own inabilities.

18. elg

elg

Those 2004 writing thresholds look rather nice right now! If only....

19. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

The level thresholds for writing SATs are hardly a matter of opinion, and I cannot imagine anyone with any experience of teaching and levelling Year 6 children would possibly be under the misapprehension that they had stayed the same for the past 11 years!
    Trouble is, your posts have not shown much sense at all, common or othewise!