1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When are offers made?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mantakin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Greetings.
    I just want to know if some of you who have been successful in gaining an international/overseas jobs have had offers made to you on the day, or even at the end of the interview. I've made numerous applications and had my second interview today, and got the same "I'm interviewing all week, you hear from us" speech that I got at the close of my last job interview (which I of course did not get). So I just wanted to know if people are actually being made offers quite soon after interview, or are still kept waiting until the end of the interviewing period. I would have thought that if a school is pretty keen on you they would make you an offer sooner rather than later, as you might have other pending interviews and get snapped up elsewhere.

2. Ugh, is there really not an editing feature on this forum? "jobs" should read "job" and "you" should read "you'll."

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sometimes a school has rules that they can't make offers until a certain date, or until a designated short list has been interviewed.
    Other times it has to do with what is sometimes called 'the jigsaw'. Let's say you're a year 1 teacher, top-notch, aces, and the candidate the school would most like to hire for the year 1 position. Great.
    But, the school also needs an experienced A level Physics teacher. There's only one qualified candidate (yes, it happens), and she comes with a husband who teaches year 1, and who is also a good candidate. Maybe not quite so high on the school's list as you are, but there is no doubt he would be absolutely fine in the position. The school has to offer to the Physics teacher and her husband, simply because if they don't, they're completely stuffed. Which leaves you out in the cold at least temporarily. But, if the Physics teacher turns the school down (she probably has other offers), you're next on the school's list, actually you were first on the school's list, and they'll call you as soon as they know. It means your offer will be delayed, but you're not out of the running unless the Physics teacher accepts.
    In other cases, you're an acceptable fit for the position, but not the highest on the school's list. They really do want to see who else is out there. They still might get back to you later with an offer. Or they might not.
    In other cases still, they have no interest at all. Professional schools will be honest about this so you don't waste your time. I presume this is not your case, since the schools are keeping you waiting.
    No, it's not too late. Offers are still coming, and interviews are still happening. It's really hard to say why you haven't got an offer yet. Best of luck and I hope the Physics teacher turns them down.