1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

When and how to tell a new school I have booked a holiday during term time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tiinatoelli, Dec 16, 2018.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

There's always one person who thinks defrauding your employer and risking a disciplinary for misconduct is a good idea.

2. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

How did it go?
    I've just read the thread and found myself really hoping your head teacher was sympathetic.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I suspect that the Head will misunderstand, thinking that this is something new and important that has come up rather than a holiday that was already booked when you accepted the job.

The Head has already offered you the job and you are already committed to it, including those two days. The signing of the contract has no significance whatsoever.

Yes! Honesty is usually the best policy. Even if it is perceived that you are a bit unreliable, at least your integrity will not be in doubt.

I was once faced with the same problem when offered a job before my teaching days. When accepting, I mentioned that I had a three week holiday (my honeymoon) booked a month after I was due to start. Not only was this accepted, but I was allowed to take the extra days on top of my holiday allowance for the balance of the year as extra paid holiday.

4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I agree that honesty is the best policy in genuine/unavoidable circumstances. A few years ago, I was working at an FE college where I only got 38 days of annual leave and when we could take this was very strictly controlled. I never take time off during term time. However, my mother was 60 years old and my sister and brother-in-law had booked a one in a lifetime trip (for us) to Center Parcs for 4 days as a 60th Birthday present for my mum. 2 of those fell during term time, so I was going to stay at home while they went but my family suggested that I ask anyway as it was a one off special occasion. Surprisingly, the managers at work were understanding and readily agreed to my request as long as I arranged cover (which I did). I believe that I also got paid during my time off as well. I think that the request was granted because I had been there for a year, had worked hard and had no previous time off. My advice would therefore have been to call the head asap, apologise profusely and explain about forgetting about the pre booked holiday in the excitement of getting the job. Then ask very politely, if taking the holiday would be ok with her. If she says no, accept the decision with good grace and apologies. I certainly wouldn't go off sick or not explain that the requested time off is for a holiday booked before applying for the job because I would be too busy worrying about being caught out, my reputation and what is happening to my students.

I hope that the request was granted and that all's well.

5. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

It’s usually mentioned at the time of selection process. I’m changing Trusts so mentioned I’d booked a holiday in line with current Trust dates at the end of my interview. I wanted to be complete open. It hasn’t impacted on dates but it could have and I didn’t want to start a new role negotiating and putting in requests. Honesty is the best policy and not after accepting a role on certain terms!

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I wonder when the first "I booked a cheap holiday in the first two weeks of September, and I've just discovered that I'm expected to start my new teaching job then" post will appear.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

My daughter's school is currently unable to tell me when term starts in September 2019 - I think it is unfair on both students and staff not to have that information available before Christmas, and it would be interesting to know what they would do if someone booked a holiday which then turns out to overlap term. Of course everyone can make a reasonable guess, but I've seen a post on here from someone whose school has moved the start of term into August.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You should always have 12 months advance notice of key dates; incompetent leadership.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

When it's difficult to recruit teachers maybe the contents of this thread are part of the reason. In a normal job you can take your holidays largely when you want. In teaching you are unnecessarily tired to very rigid dates. It would not be unreasonable or impossible for there there to be a little flexibility. The world doesn't end when a teacher is off sick and nor would it if they were very occasionally off for another reason. To a non-teacher the conditions in teaching look intolerable and silly and old-fashioned. Like many things, more money would allow more flexibility, and because of that it's no wonder that many graduates choose to do a job with a more enlightened approach to work-life balance.

10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Check the school policy on request absence leave as early as you can, but - in my opinion- certainly ask this to be unpaid and provide a full detail rationale for the request. Additionally, mention that you will have all resources, teaching slides and lesson planning ready.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Indeed. Those outside teaching are always amazed at the resignation times. Miss the May deadline and you have to wait until December. That is ridiculous.

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

That's poor management, but I would assume September 1st from the point of view of booking holidays or trips. Any working days in September that are "off" are a bonus.

This can make life complicated as pay years usually run from September 1st-August 31st.

In many respects, I agree. However it's a quid pro quo for a holiday allowance many other professionals would love to have access to - I know that term time working conditions have become ridiculous.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Only to those who do not consider continuity of provision for children's education to be important.

CWadd, Flanks, border_walker and 2 others like this.
  14. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Companies manage this all the time. It should not take 7 months to put someone in post.

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The problem is of course that most applicants, unless NQTs, have the same problem about being tied to notice periods, so yes it can be months before the best candidate is available.

nomad likes this.
  16. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

So if the standard notice period was a month as in most jobs shouldn't schools be able to manage this? Why have a few crazy weeks when the whole school is upside down as slt try and interview for all the resignations that arrive last minute?

agathamorse likes this.
  17. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

There are other odd things like this that non teachers find strange-like having to accept a job on the spot even when you have another interview in the pipeline. Perhaps as recruitment becomes more difficult it will become more of an employee's market as the best will be able to pick and chose but I doubt it somehow .

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

With the current resignation dates, in theory each class should only have a maximum of three teachers in a year and this would be considered a nightmare year. With your proposal, a class could end up with ten or eleven teachers, which would destroy learning.

Lara mfl 05, Flanks and nomad like this.
  19. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

But some classes do have more than 3 teachers a year if they have to have supply teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I agree that the constant turnover of teachers is a problem but the solution has little to do with notice periods. When teachers were militant enough to act the notice period wasn't an issue. Given that most HR is useless then they will probably go into meltdown if they had to think that far out of the box.

agathamorse and ATfan like this.