1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when a student will not participate

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by southcoastdreamer, Mar 24, 2013.

1. In a very small class - 3 students, PRU setting, a student sat with his head on the desk during a Lesson Ob. Wouldn't engage at all. Wouldnt even talk to me or the Head who was observing. Eventually he left the class. Any thoughts on what I could have done? I got a Needs to Improve. SLT were only able to suggest one idea of 'do a group activity' to try and engage another time.
    Im concerned, what if it happens again in a lesson obs ?

2. In a very small class - 3 students, PRU setting, a student sat with his head on the desk during a Lesson Ob. Wouldn't engage at all. Wouldnt even talk to me or the Head who was observing. Eventually he left the class. Any thoughts on what I could have done? I got a Needs to Improve. SLT were only able to suggest one idea of 'do a group activity' to try and engage another time.
    Im concerned, what if it happens again in a lesson obs ?

3. How old was he?
    I just think it's very unfair that PRUs are inspected using the same criteria as mainstream schools.
    PRU pupils have already failed at mainstream.
    Was the behaviour unusual for that pupil, or was he just not playing ball with the lesson ob?