1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When a student says No

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by birdy49, May 27, 2012.

1. I am a LSA in secondary. Last week I saw a year 10 student texting in the lesson. The sch has a no phone policy. I told her to stop and to put it away which she did. I noticed that later on her was texting. I asked for the phone her response was No. I asked her more more time which she continued to say no. I had to get the class teacher to deal with the issue. Any tips on what I did wrong and what I could of done. Thanks

2. You are joking aren't you Whacko? you are not suggesting one should ignore the floutng of a school rule when it's happening right under your nose?

3. I don't think Whacko's suggesting that for a minute. I think he's saying that the OP did the right thing in not escalating the confrontation - not starting to shout at the student or suchlike - but instead refer it to the next available authority (the classroom teacher).
    OP: I think you handled it fine. The student's behaviour is what's at fault here, not yours.

4. ok- I misread his post then...sorry

5. Apology accepted.[​IMG]
    One strategy that the OP could have tried (but it's risky) is to have invited the pupil to step out of the room for a minute, with the teacher's approval.
    The effect of this would not be so much about getting a phone handed over, but establishing the assistant's right to follow the school's disciplinary code and by extension, her reputation.
    It's a slightly risky strategy though, because the pupil may simply refuse to move, thereby fuelling confrontation and weakening the assistant's position.

6. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Yes, pass this on, move on and then follow up. If it's that 1% of times when the student is texting for an urgent matter then I'll ensure they have to dedicate of their free time talking to pastoral etc. If the student isn't going to give up their phone, then you have to judge the school, the situation, your free-time dealing with it, the student and the rest.

7. http://fragg.me/video/teacher-cell-phone

8. Be confident,
    'Are you ok? Pop your phone into your bag...thank you!'
    Repeat as necessary!

9. You've behaved appropriately. Don't worry!

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

... always assuming that support will be available.

11. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

I'm primary trained and completely understand secondary to be a completely different ball game!