1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When a Mock isn’t a Mock

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Aug 12, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

Will some schools now benefit if they awarded ‘higher’ Mock Exam Grades done earlier on Courses ? And is a ‘Mock Exam’ now a real exam ?

‘Replacement A-level grades 'no lower than mock exams'
    By Sean Coughlan

‘A-level students in England are being promised that their final results will be no lower than their mock exams.

The Department for Education announced a "triple lock" - which could boost the replacement grades for exams cancelled in the pandemic.

It means pupils getting A-level results this week can have whichever is highest from their estimated grades, their mocks and written exams in the autumn.

Head teachers attacked the last-minute change as "panicked and chaotic".

England's Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said the extra link with mock exams would be a "safety net".

If results are lower than students' grades in mock exams an appeal can be made to the exam board.

It follows Scotland's decision to switch to using teachers' predicted grades - which will increase results in 125,000 exam entries.’ (BBC website)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

We've moved away from the word ' Mock ' -youth nowadays see the wrong connotations -quite rightly. PPE is what we now use (ironically)

install likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

It’s the late announcement that is the shock here. It seems poorly thought through.

Many schools will not have done whole papers as their Mocks or done their own internal version. And schools will not have moderated between each other. So a grade ‘A’ in a Mock Exam in one school may well be a grade ‘D’ in another school. And vice versa.

strawbs and Sally006 like this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And nobody will have used the same markscheme. Furthermore, no "home produced" markschemes will have been through the long process of revision in day-long meetings in which teams of examiners discuss what alternative answers may or may not be worthy of a mark.

Although there is no easy answer to the problem of this year's results, I think there is a real danger that 2020 qualifications will be perceived as substandard if the pass rate shoots throught the roof, as it now has in Scotland.

5. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

From what was said by the schools minister this morning, it would seem that as part of the appeal process they will need to see the mock exam. So presumably they will just pull it apart and tell the school they were wrong anyway.

agathamorse, strawbs and install like this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I don’t think that matters as long as people are (temporarily) happy.

‘Bread and circuses’ comes to mind.

dleaf12, mothorchid and install like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

And some might say - can they be called ‘qualifications’ ?

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

We used to call them ‘ trials ‘

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Thank you for this. That makes more sense.

The only problem I have with that is sone schools do practice style mock exams with the teacher at the front showing students what they should write during the practice mock exam.

Some mock exams will have been done in classrooms where displays will have shown some answers or even done with notes being allowed in them.

The other main problem is the mock exam results undermining of the estimation grades. Both mocks and estimate grades will most likely have been done by the same teacher - so why not trust the teacher with their overview estimates if they are lower than the mock grades.I wonder if there should be a different wording on the exam certificates ?

Imagine having 2 applicants for a job. One applicant got 3 grade Bs last year in their (real) exams. They had got all grade As in their mocks. The other applicant got 3 grade As this year in their (mock) exams . The possibly weaker applicant gets selected through to the next stage.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And this year, like in all the other years when you told the kids to treat the mocks like the real exams did they just shrug and not bother anyway? Well this year the chicken came home to roost.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I suspect that what Sturgeon announced in Scotland panicked them and the DfE had to make up a new policy quickly to cover their political backsides from complaints by parents.

12. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I feel so sorry for these kids who may have question marks over their results but I hope this won’t happen. Clearly Gavin had his “Oh s**t” moment no doubt in anticipation that England, Wales and NI were about to face the same issue as Scotland. The hasty panic reaction is clear to see.

I’m just wondering how much longer he will remain in post? Unfortunately, he’s likely to be replaced by another chinless wonder.

lorencanna and install like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Some might say: ‘The ‘chickens have come home to roost’ for the Exam Boards, accurate grading, League Tables, Micheal Gove, the A Level Curriculum and Exam certificates’

How real exams are ran (compared to school mocks); how they grade and moderate grades ( compared to each school); and how they might have taken final estimated grades into account ( compared to mocks) is all thrown out of the window imho.

Each school’s separate grading system of their own students for mock exams is now being accepted as being equal to ‘real’ grades. That’s just odd.

There won’t be any League Tables this year. But maybe there shouldn’t be any ever again if this is how exam grades are awarded in any year.

Micheal Gove assured more challenging and tougher exams. No Cwk either and no wanted no ‘gaming’ (as some saw it) of the system. Yet the Gvt have done a massive U turn. These cannot be seen as more challenging exams even compared to real exams + Cwk; or AS grade + A2 grade.

The irony is that if the Gvt hadn’t cancelled the AS route as counting towards the final A Level grade they wouldn’t be in this mess now.

Maybe the certificates really do need something on them to explain the grade eg Internal Sch Mock Grade; Estimated Grade.

dleaf12 and monicabilongame like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I hope the kids get what they need and are able to get to University - although it won't be the same for probably their entire courses.

I hope the GCSE results are not messed around with either.

15. install

install Star commenter

I agree and some will say that apparent panic is a pity. Rather than relying on teacher estimates, ranking, and grades all approved, checked and signed off by the slt in each school.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So they've changed 40% of the A level grades overnight....

But the Universities would have had the old grades for a week..

agathamorse and lorencanna like this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

It’s ironic but I think the Gvt may have to be seen to be consistent in all its awarding qualifications this year. I suspect the GCSE exam grades may eventually be reached in the same way.

Again possibly with estimates, ranking and signed off grades by each school not being given higher priority than mock exams.

Some may say : ‘ This will not be good for the Tories and teacher votes but it might get the younger votes in future’.

18. install

install Star commenter

I’m not sure where you get 40% from?

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nick Gibb's interview on Sky this morning.

install likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just saw this on twitter:D:D:D:D:D

*BREAKING NEWS!* School leaders are informed that if they are not happy with their OFSTED grading then they can use their Mocksted grade instead as long as the process followed was robust.......
    8:07 am · 12 Aug 2020·Twitter for Android