1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wheels - and the Mrs Armitage on Wheels book...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tick/star/smileyface, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Hello, strange topic I know! Just wondered if anyone had linked the topic with the story of Mrs Armitage and how they might have linked to Literacy? Its for Key Stage 1. Any ideas would be great!

MAny thanks
    x

2. tick/star/smileyface

Hello, strange topic I know! Just wondered if anyone had linked the topic with the story of Mrs Armitage and how they might have linked to Literacy? Its for Key Stage 1. Any ideas would be great!

MAny thanks
    x

3. I had a Mrs Armitage on wheels week and we covered some activities following the theme of Mrs Armitage?s wheels

To include
    Drawing Mrs Armitages bicycle in the style of Quentin Blake
    Designing and making bunting for Armitage display, using a variety of shapes as templates
    Exploring colour wheels in paint and crayon red/orange/yellow/green/blue/brown
    designing and constructing roller skates for Mrs Armitage, designing and constructing further additions to a for bicycle
    learn ?Wheels on the bike? song with different sounds for different parts of bike, looked at
    road safety, what choices can I make and how would this affect me

as well as literacy activities such as adding extras to the bike, describing Mrs Armitage, I also took a bike into school and we wrote labels and captions for it
    hope this gives you some ideas

4. We had this topic last year in Year 2. It was a whole topic of Transport. We read Mrs Armitage and designed our own bicycle. In literacy we wrote why we chose to add those particular personal items on our bikes.

In D&T we moved on to making our own cars- chose what would be the best thing to use for a wheel and axel. E.g. cardboard / cotton reel, drinking straw/pip cleaner.

Don't know if this is what your looking for?

5. tick/star/smileyface

thanks a lot. These are great ideas. Any other out there?

xx

6. EC54 it sounds like you have done what I've just been planning for the autumn term - Mrs armitage and vehicles unit. Don't suppose you've got any other grand ideas have you - I'm losing the will to live!