1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your schools policy on treats?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milly8627, Nov 24, 2015.

1. milly8627

milly8627 New commenter

Hello
    I have just started at a new school and have found out that the head doesn't like whole class rewards for their marble jar treat unless it involves learning as well e.G a pizza party that involves researching the ingredients, costing, planning etc.

I just wondered if any other school did it this way? I have always been used to the class earning the reward through their work (marbles) and then choosing their own reward without any additional work as they have already earnt it!

Am I going mad?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think your head is very sensible, personally. The children have earned the right to choose a reward that will take place during school time, but what's wrong with planning some associated learning? Engagement is likely to be high (as it's something they have an interest in) and the children will get a lot out of it as well as getting a treat.

3. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

So does the staff Christmas party have to involve 'learning' as well? Kids, just like adults, deserve a bit of fun now and again. Not everything needs to have a learning objective. I think your head needs to get a life.