1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your routine?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by nowhereman1, Mar 23, 2013.

1. nowhereman1

nowhereman1 New commenter

Currently on PGCE and I am keeping a positive work life balance, which I am very happy about.
    There seems to be a lot of focus on work life balance within teaching. So, as a point of reference for others who may be struggling, or just need a little extra help.

How do you structure your day? Planning, marking, hobbies family and friend time? What are you best tips for keeping it together?

2. nowhereman1

nowhereman1 New commenter

Currently on PGCE and I am keeping a positive work life balance, which I am very happy about.
    There seems to be a lot of focus on work life balance within teaching. So, as a point of reference for others who may be struggling, or just need a little extra help.

How do you structure your day? Planning, marking, hobbies family and friend time? What are you best tips for keeping it together?

3. Just tell us how you are working yours and you could be a source of inspiration for the many who don't seem to be quite achieving it.
    PS Just as a point of information, the expression (from another thread) is "threshold" from "thresh hold" , the place belonging to you, where one treads over.

4. s249

s249 New commenter

I go into school early (about 7:30) and mark. I mark in all of my frees (on a desk away from my computer and e-mails!!) apart from on Friday's when I plan lessons and classwork for the next week which of course wil be tweaked as the week goes on but a general idea.

I usually stay for about 1 hour after school each day to finish Marking/Planning and I rarely take work home.

5. Your workplace seems remarkably free of meetings, data collections, emails requiring attention, report-writing, "initiatives", cover and clubs. Lucky you.

6. s249

s249 New commenter

We have department meetings on Monday's at lunch which and after school. I very rarely have that many e-mails requiring attention that do not take 5 minutes to answer in the afternoon when my form are silent reading? What do people e-mail you about?! As I mark I enter the data onto my APP sheet which in turn calculates the pupils current level based on what they can do.

No teacher in my school does cover until year 11 go on study leave. I do a club on a Wednesday for additional maths. There are very little "Initiatives" as you put them.

Report writing is once a year for 5 year groups and takes about an hour for each set (on average as my set 4 class has only 13 pupils in it), I don't use comment banks or copy and paste.

I guess I forgot a few things, but I feel like I work hard, pupils are progressing well and learning lots but I am not slaving over for hours and hours and getting a good work life balance.

7. Remarkably, as an NQT 4 years ago I had quite a good work-life balance. 4 years down the line I am really struggling, mainly because what has been introduced in those four years has increased our workload enormously.

8. Frances1985 has made a very good point, which is a depressing fact of teaching. I think routines can differ, especially with regards to your particular school and priorities there. The (very obvious) advice I would give is eat well and healthily and also exercise when you can. It is easy to get run down and if your immune system suffers it can take a while to regain your health. Be aware of your well-being and make sure you take time to see your friends and family.