1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your preference, Real books or electronic books?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Phoenixchild, Sep 8, 2010.

1. For me it's paper copies though I haven't actuallyeven held, or tried an electronic version. I like the feel of books in the trad. format. I also read in the bath and don't expect the steam and (very real!) risk of being dropped in the water would be compatible with the e. version.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why on earth would one need to be carrying round a library of 2,500 books with one? The thought of some electronic gadget replacing the utter delight of a real book with its own book mark and real pages to turn is anathema to me.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I can see that we need another lunch together, Nutella, so that I can try and convert you!

4. I had been wondering that myself!
    I can appreciate the usefulness if going on holiday - I suppose it is much easier to have several books on a Kindle or similiar, rather than lugging several paper versions with you.
    But I am lucky if I manage a couple of chapters on ONE book on the bus journey to and from work - and a paper version is much easier to just chuck in my bag when I get to the bus stop [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's just to have a choice when I finish one . . .

6. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Lunch would be great, Theo, but you won't convert me. I'm off to Sydney on Tuesday for 3 weeks so hasta la vista and all that. Meet up when I get back?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lunch with a view of the Sydney harbourside and the Opera House would be great. But I bet Mrs TG wouldn't let me go . . .
    So it will have to be when you get back - e-mail me.

8. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

I've got my Kindle now and after two days I would say I love it. I am still learning how to use it but I love having a few books on it that I can choose from to read in my bag at once.

I also liked buying a book this morning and having it ready to read in 20 seconds instead of having to wait a few days for it to come.

I also love the pictures of famous authors that come up when you put it to sleep - a surprise every time!

I also like having paper books and will not be parting with any of mine at all.

I like the fact that I can read audio books with it.

I like the fact I can read in bed one handed in comfort.

I like the fact fat books are the same size as little ones and just as easy to hold a 1500 page epic novel as a 90 page novella.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So that's a positive statement, then?

10. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

I don't know if you will appreciate this or not Theo (depends on your coif) but I read my Kindle while drying my hair this morning. How cool is that?

So yes, it is way more positive than I anticipated, and I have to say I don't think you should knock it until you have tried it. x

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hardly worth switching it on for the amount of hair I have to dry . . .

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have now, belatedly, come to this same conclusion, Nutella.
    So I have spent a happy rainy afternoon going through my Kindle and slimming it down.
    No more than 3 books from any author. Arbitrary, I know, but I decided that if I didn't like the author, I wouldn't want three, and if I did, then having three available would give me enough to get my teeth into until I had time to re-load some more on to the Kindle.
    Quite an interesting time deciding which three . . . usually if it is a series, I took the first three. But which J Austen? Which Dickens? Which Christie?
    Haven't yet finished the task, but thought I would come back to prove you correct.

13. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Real books
    I do a lot of my reading in the bath!

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Waterproof Kindle . . .
    [​IMG]

15. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Have found out this thread again to remind myself that I'm not the only one after all!
    For those on this thread who also prefer real books, I had a kindle for Christmas, I am not a convert and was most disappointed not to receive any real books for Christmas.
    Has anyone else been "converted"?xx

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, take heart from what the others say! But my offer still stand, P Child!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    There is also a Weekend Workshop on applications on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I got my Kindle as an early Christmas present.
    I wasn't certain about getting one - I love my 'real' books. I collect books and there is nothing quite like the thrill of going to a book fair/shop and furtling through old books and finding one you want for your collection. And yes, the smell of old books is amazing. And I also adore the connection with people gone by that I get when reading an old book - who read this before me - did they enjoy it as much I am? What made them cry - is that a tear stain on the page? Why did they underline that passage?
    I chatted on TES to a few people (including Theo!) and decided to accept the present....and I love love LOVE it!
    It took me a matter of hours to fall in love. Actually the process started before the Kindle arrived! I spent time on Amazon and ordered books before the actual Kindle came.
    I have a fine assortment of out-of-print books on my Kindle - wonderful old books that I have been looking for for ages - yes, I would love 'real' copies too but in their absence, I'm able to read the missing volumes in my collection! Even better, lots of them are free! For my 'Elsie' collection I haven't paid more than £5 per title.
    I love the free-samples. I can check a title and see if I like it before deciding to buy.
    And the free nespapers! Thank you Theo for the VEL guide! I can now get free copies of German and English papers every morning....the only hiccup is that I don't get to do the crosswords!
    When I visited mum over Christmas I took my Kindle instead of a dozen books.(My Kindle has a couple of hundred titles stored)
    And then there are a number of authors who only publish online. If I want to read them I can either sit at my laptop....or use Claibre to transfer the e-books to my Kindle and read wherever I choose.
    Would I want to give up 'real' books?....no!
    Would I want to give up my Kindle?....no!

18. Imagine how smug I felt. We had a power cut. I sat pleasantly occupied reading my kindle by virtue of its lighted cover. Hubby had to mess around with a torch.

I am with Bethannie. I love my kindle more than any other object I have bought for many years but I still love books.

19. Streetcleaner

Streetcleaner New commenter

Real books for life, baby! I love getting new books, they're the only things I've ever been a collector of. I've read a few books in ebook form and while it was convenient I missed the feel and smell of a physical copy (and the ability to write in the margins).

20. Paper books for <u>some</u> non-fiction (to be able to annotate with pencil). Electronic books for everything else (95% of what I read). Otherwise:
    ~ "I don't like reading on a screen" : Ebook readers have e-Ink technology, which is completely different from any other screen you have seen (PC, laptop, phone, Ipad, Nintendo, etc.) It is not a "screen" more than an apple is a pear. It is a different thing.
    ~ "I like to share books and with the electronic ebooks you can't": I don't remember who wrote this, but why couldn't you? The ebooks you download to Kindle from Amazon are protected, but Amazon is not the only source of ebooks. I share ebooks with people regularly.
    ~ "why would you want to carry 1000 books?" : Maybe because some are nonfiction and I need to have them at hand? Like dictionaries? Also because sometimes I feel like some silly detective story and sometimes I feel like reading classical literature? Because I read in 3 languages and sometimes I feel like reading in Spanish and sometimes in English? Because sometimes I download a 800-page book (free!), read 20 pages and decide I don't like it, so I delete it? (Just as you don't have to eat everything on your plate, you aren't morally obliged to finish every book you've started, you know :) )
    ~ "batteries don't go flat on real books": No. Of course, this is an issue if you go somewhere without electricity for more than 3-4 weeks. In my experience very few people do. When was the last time you were somewhere with absolutely no electricity for a month? Trekking in the jungle? In the Sahara desert? Kidnapped by Somali pirates? In these circumstances, however, you would hardly be bothere with a real book either...
    ~ "you can't snuggle up with an ebook-reader": Why on earth not? It's actually better. You don't have to hold heavy hardbacks. You don't have to keep it open (easily manageable with one hand). You can read lying on your tummy and not have to hold it at all. You can read lying on your side with you head on the pillow and the lines don't go "warbled" as the book bends in the middle.
    And on top of this:
    - you can read samples of books for free
    - you can read all newspapers (but the Times) for free. This includes foreign newspapers, which are quite hard to get of you are in the UK and read in foreign languages
    - you don't have to wait till the book arrives from Amazon. (Well, teachnically that's not true. You have to wait 40 seconds :D )
    And since I bought an ebook-reader about a year ago, I must have saved hundreds of pounds on books and newspapers.