1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your preference, Real books or electronic books?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Phoenixchild, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

For me it's real all the way, the feel, the look and the smell of a book. My husband doesn't understand it, he thought, given that I read so ,that I would be falling over myself for one of these gadgets that stores books.
    Please tell me there are other traditionalists out there when it comes to the matter of books?xx

2. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to books but I'm still going to buy a Kindle 3G.
    At the moment I'm reading 'London' by Edward Rutherford, I already have the hardback but bought the paperback for convenience (handbag size) but it's still 1,500 pages and the size (and weight) of a door stop. Lovely but very hard to read in some situations and heavy to carry.
    Once Amazon have them back in stock it's a Kindle for me - but I'll still buy paper versions of some books such as poetry.
    Theo Griff has said it all on his threads.... :)

3. Real.

4. I don't yet have a electronic book, but a friend of mine does (a Sony) and I am very impressed. The major drawback I see is that you can't loan out books to friends - if I read something I really like I want other people to be able to read it too.

5. Real.

6. ah, some of my post was chopped off!
    Real because
    - it feels better in the hand
    - I can put it on my shelf. Books are my friends.
    - totally practically, I cannot read from a screen very well. I can read better from paper without my eyes hurting and going into unfocused mode.

7. I must admit that I have never read a book electronically, but, for me, I just can't see the NEED for it.
    There's nothing wrong with books as they are.
    Also, I do like books as objects and also like seeing books on shelves, looking things up - collecting, really I suppose.
    Saying all this, I am a massive convert of downloaded music now and it has completely revitalised my interest in music. But that's mainly because I download illegally, if I'm honest and also because CD's had already replaced the album format that I also liked as objects / collectables (artwork, gatefold, flicking through in record shops etc).
    My interest in books doesn't need revitalising, if anything it needs dampening down!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn!
    A slightly biased title here! Some e-book fans (not I!) don't call them Real Books but DTBs - Dead Tree Books.
    Real books, to use your term, are good. But only a few at a time in your bag.
    Which do you prefer - carrying around a Real Library or an electronic one? I have over 2,500 books on my Kindle . . .

9. real books every time

10. Phoenixchild

But a book is, by definition, a number of pages bound together. I would never carry around a library of course it is impossible, but nor would I ever carry around a kindle because it contains text not books and I like the feel of a "real" book.
    AND, that stupid advert where the folk are sat on a beach reading an electronic "book" , batteries never go dead on real books and nor does the glare of the sun present a problem.xx
    [​IMG]
    *I realise I'm being bl oo dy minded, they're just not for me. [​IMG]

11. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've always thought real books. I love holding a proper book in my hands. I love having book cases and shelves full of books in every room of my house.
    But after this summer, I'm tempted to get an electronic book just for holidays. We usually go for a month in the summer, and travel around. This year, I took a few books as usual, but ended up finishing them before the end of the holidays and couldn't find anyone to swap books with (everybody I chatted to was either in the middle of their book or - very strangely - hadn't even started reading them).
    I get jittery without a book to read, so next year it will be either taking a few extra books with me (but I'd planned to get a smaller rucksack and try to travel lighter) or getting an electronic book.
    I can't imagine curling up at home with an electronic book, but it might be the answer for when we go away. So now the question is, which one?

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually, actually, you are right: batteries can go dead - but they should last you a couple of weeks in between charges.
    And you obviously haven't seen or used a Kindle, because you CAN read in the full glare of the sun, it is not at all like a computer screen or your phone, where you can't see a thing in broad daylight even out of the sun.
    The answer to Cariad is: a Kindle, of course!
    I have both a Sony e-reader (book size) and a Kindle DX (A4 size). Am now going to give away my Sony and get a small Kindle.
    Still have paper books, though, although am currently packing up several hundred paperbacks to take to the Charity Shop.

13. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Real/Dead Tree do it for me.
    I assume 'Dead Tree' is supposed to be a put down but sooner replenishable trees that do something beautiful while they're alive and growing than a bit of plastic that everyone will have lost interest in and moved on to the next thing in a few years' time.
    I love real books and not just the feel of reading it but the cover, the portability, a house with real books on the shelf - all that jazz.
    I can completely see why people love their Kindle but if I had one it would never take the place of real books for me.

14. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

So, do most people that have electronic books still have old style paper books as well? Is it just finally a gadget for people that like books? I suppose it's like having music in different forms - ipod, CDs, radio, (vinyl?) just another alternative depending on where you are, what you are doing. I like the idea of an electronic book somehow as I could just have it anywhere I go, but one thing that puts me off is that I also like sharing books with others as someone has already said. It seems a waste to pay out once and that's it, but if I buy a paper book I can always think about how I'll pass it on to a friend afterwards as she also wants to read it, so it seems less extravagant. I also like cheap books from car boot sales and charity shops!

15. Phoenixchild

Theo, you're right, I never have seen or used a kindle, I really do have no interest, I'd go so far as to say I have an antipathy towards electronic "books".
    I can appreciate all the arguments for them and accept that other people will love the idea, to me a book has pages that you turn, and a cover, and blurb, and it's tactile and it has a smell. I can "get lost in the pages" of a real book, none of this appeals with an electronic book. Each to their own, I do find it encouraging that a lot of posters also like their "real books".xx
    [​IMG]

16. piedwarbler

piedwarbler New commenter

I have ordered a KIndle and I am hoping (TG will confirm) that it will be lighter to hold my copy of The Journey by Tony Blair in bed - my arm aches when I have to hold up a heavy hard back!
    That and being able to order a book in the middle of the night and not have to wait for the postie!
    ppppp
    Think my book spending will go u

17. Phoenixchild

I now find myself wishing I'd never started this thread! I'd avoided all the other threads on the subject as I had no interest, now having asked the question I've read other threads and from antipathy I have, in a matter of a heartbeat, started considering buying one! I am a traitor and a flippertigibit, my ideals are flying arrrgh!xx

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Real books have their place too. For reading while cooking, or in the bath, for example!
    Or for snuggling up on the sofa with a bar of [​IMG]
    But so do ebooks.
    In particular if you travel anywhere on a daily basis, just to slip it into your bag and know that if there's a traffic jam/ train cancelled you have all those books to hand. Or are asked to supervise a class at the end of the day when you're too knackered to get on with marking.
    I never leave the house without it. You never know when you want to read for 10 minutes.

19. On the plus side for non e readers (like me) it should mean that there's gonna be a spate of great books turning up in charity shops over the next coupla years.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yep - been down there already!
    But there are lots of favourites that I can't bear to part with, even though I've got them on my Kindle too.