1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your opinon on Cfe so far

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by triquetra, Feb 20, 2011.

1. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

OK - approaching the endgame.

Chemistry

National 3, 4 and 5 all in one class.

Sprinting thru content and our recent prelims show a marked inability to do basics due to lack of reinforcement.

We have only managed....

2 'NABS at N5

1 'NAB' at N4.

All Tasks 2's done (waste of time)

No assignments as we keep failing to hit every mark at N4 and we keep having false starts at N5.

Prelim for N5.

Still to do (Jan 2014!)....

1xN5 NAB, Investigation (TASK 1?) and Assignment

2xN4 NABS, TASK 1 and Assignment.

N4 and N5 - Metals, Electricity, Radioisotopes and Chemical Analysis.

God help us!

ps - SQA offering support on a twilight or weekend basis mid-february.....! 1 month before we have to deliver on the CPD items!

Biggest challenge has been:

codification

poor language describing tasks.

obfuscational literature.

ps - we are ahead of other schools!

2. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

It can't be our fault, Cochrane. I am at exactly the same point with assessments as you are and with exactly the same problems. Teaching three levels in one class is impossible. My class have just failed their prelim badly (even although they have passed Key Area Questions), they understand nothing. Such a disservice to the 5 or 6 pupils who at the start of the course were promising Nat 5 candidates. I read the TES article on support offered by the SQA in the coming weeks. I've been wrestling with all of this for more than a year and a half and an 11th hour intervention by SQA to "train" me is going to put it all right. Phew, glad they're there to help.

3. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

OK - N5 Assignments........

Pupils can plan and collect data but cannot have a draft essay ready?

I cannot see anything in the rules that does not allow every child to collect info for 1.1, 1.2 etc on separate bits of paper, enter the exam hall and staple them all together!!!

ps - In light of the assignment and Task 1...can anyone explain the point of the two paragraph TASK 2 assessment other than having something to remove next year in the pretence of reducing workload?

As an aside, many of my more able are bored witless with doing all the assignments ion 8 subjects! Mind you, they say that they are now so used to them that they correct staff on what is and isn't permissible!