1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your opinon on Cfe so far

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by triquetra, Feb 20, 2011.

1. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Homework should be banned for many reasons.

2. gnulinux

CfE is probably going to be a spectacular failure for Scottish Education. The current attacks of the teaching profession by COSLA and the Scottish Government are no doubt designed to provoke teachers into withdrawing their 'support' for CfE. CfE will be scrapped and we will be blamed for its failure - not the HMIE, LTScotland and the rest that would not listen to us in the first place.

3. I find that the CFE outcomes and experiences are even more prescriptive than 5-14.

4. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

To quote a Headteacher I heard: "CfE? No-one has a Scooby." A year on and is anything really different? The SAME teachers teaching the SAME kids the SAME topics with the SAME resources and the SAME methodologies but just with a new shiny name for it all. The biggest waste of time, money and resources since GLOW. And that was only a year or so ago. Senior educationalists et al should be in the dock for this farce. They are experimenting with a generation of childrens futures. I really believe we have to go back to traditional teaching BACKED up by traditional manners, respect and discipline. We have become too soft as a society.

5. coaltown1

coaltown1 New commenter

Well said Freddie!

6. gnulinux

For the sake of Scottish Education, the futures of children etc. etc., CfE should be stopped in its tracks NOW. If it is allowed to continue it WILL do untold harm to the reputation of the Scottish Education System, such as it is, and blight a generation in the process.
    When CfE was first revealed, Faculties were hailed as the vehicle for delivery in secondary - nobody believed that then. Now the evidence is that Faculties have failed to deliver - more, they have lost focus completely. At a recent staff meeting it became clear that some Faculties had made little or no progress along the CfE route. Most of what was said in terms of progress was mere bluster and bull5h1t. Some admitted to having made no progress on assessment - but yet we have reported on S1's under CfE. How can you report without having assessed?? Nobody challenged or questioned what was said - nobody wants to rock this boat - the CfE Titanic.

7. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

8. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

From LT Scotland: "Glow is... transforming the way the curriculum is delivered in Scotland." Bless...

9. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

I think every government will keep it going as they don't want to be the one who lets it fail!

10. I agree. In secondary homework causes loads of angst for teachers and achieves little. It owes more to the English public school tradition of' 'prep' ie, keeping the punters occupied into early evening than any real gain.
    The working hours of pupils ought to be limited to the school day times five per week until age 16 in order to allow families to take part in sporting cultural activities of their choice. It is outrageous that schools should determine how children outside of the school working day should spend their time.
    Perhaps the 'new thinking' behind CfE could take this issue on. I have discussed this with Keir Bloomer and his view is that homework is a waste of time which achieves little.
    Teenagers and teachers...join the revolution ....don't give homework...kids....don't do it when given !!!!!!

11. It does not look too good for CfE which has been on the stocks for almost a decade!! The idea behind it at the start was good. The implementation has been catastrophic. The battle for control of CfE has been going on right from the start. The various 'stakeholders' have been engaged in a guerilla war over who holds the whiplash. This has ,and is, damaging the whole education service. Added to this, as the years have slipped past, the anxieties of school managements have grown. Surely SOMETHING must come out of all this hot air about CfE! In trying to make something out of a pig's ear, they have only succeeded in alienating and confusing their staff and making their staff's attitude more negative with regard to any development. If you read between the lines in the forums in TESS, you will see it is only the management types and ambitious martyrs who have a positive word for any of the developments taking place.

How can this situation be changed? It cannot be solved by pressure and threats. It needs a radical approach. Teachers have been holding the line for too long and have put up with too much already. We need to get the monkeys off our backs which stop things from happening. Politicians, Education Scotland (both bits) and other groups need to butt out and allow teachers to get on with the task of teaching. As a group we have been doing it for long enough. These oppressive outside groups depend on teachers and they know it. They must experience their dependence on us. They need to start supporting the education service (assuming their future existence) and less on carving out a place for themselves in the scheme of things.

'Freedom is a noble thing' said the poet. This is exactly what is required by all teachers. The poet went on to say that 'it gives man a liking'. - a choice. I suggest we choose freedom in 2013 and argue the case vehemently to those who stand in the way of progress.

12. I was right! The Glowing report was written by machines - the Transformers! :)

13. gnulinux

And if you don't get into it you will face the GTCS Terminators.

14. cochrane1964

The support material issued for N5 Chemistry Radioactivity contains basic factual errors embarrassing to an S5 H Chem student. When I contacted them I was told, 'Well they are published now...'

15. cochrane1964

16. FlyonthewalI - I do not think you sound grumpy. If anything, when I read your posts, I can tell that you are passionate about doing the best for your pupils. You come across as someone who is experienced and one who speaks utter sense. I agree, entirely, with all that you say and will
    continue to enjoy reading your comments.

17. iamspartacus79

iamspartacus79 New commenter

Models like CfE have been tried all over the world and subsequently dumped. Mike Russell and co. should have done their research.

18. Totally agree. Depressing in the extreme...CfE load of utter *****. Taught 18 years and this is an utter disaster....

19. gnulinux

It has only taken you 4 years to say this but ... better late than never!!! CfE is what you get when educational experts, i.e. teachers, are deliberately ignored and the education system is messed with by a self-interested guru!!! Even Salmond referred to KB as an educational guru in the Scottish parliament. Doh!!!