1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion of...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 23, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

... the Easter Rising?

Radio 4 had a promo for a show discussing the divided views of these fair isles, Britain and Ireland, concerning this event and I wondered what views folks held ...

I won't do a poll. Too simplistic... just wondering how you view it.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My view is this - I am waiting for @racroesus to tell me what to think. Also your good self @lanokia

I shall then do more research and....and...you get the picture.

ValentinoRossi and lanokia like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well now I'm definitely not saying... not my place to force my opinion on others... or OK, I will say, but later on...

4. grumpydogwoman

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It was pretty simple, though.

The idea of Home Rule had been shelved with the beginning of the Great War. The Irish were fed up with being controlled by Westminister, but the majority were willing to wait. A group of intellectuals and others who dreamed of a free Ireland decided to overthrow the government. Unfortunately, only a small group actually mobilised and that meant that once the British realised what was happening, it was only a matter of time before the rising/rebellion was over. The BIG mistake was made by General Maxwell in Dublin who ordered the executions of the leaders and that changed public opinion (originally angry with the 'rebels' for causing death, destruction and chaos through the streets).

You could read 'A Star Called Henry' by Roddy Doyle, which is a good, fictional account of a young man during the Rising.

There's loads of other materials available, which I could recommend as well...

Two points of interest:
    * The bullet holes are still in the outside columns of Post Office in O'Connell Street (the interior was completely gutted during the 1916 Rising)

* The first leader to be executed was Padraig Pearse, who wanted to be martyred for Ireland.

I have copies of old newspapers from the time and have seen original Law Society journals where they refer to the rising as the 'rebellion' and complain about the damage done to property - the week itself? Mainly an inconvenience and deadly....

Just read Joe Duffy's Children of the Rising, which was fascinating (about all the children who died as either 'volunteers' or just innocently caught in the cross-fire. The British government gave funds to the shop-owners but not usually the parents in compensation.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...fy-the-forgotten-casualties-of-1916-1.2419717

Me: Yes, a classicist, but my language school was off of O'Connell Street, I regularly took students to Kilmainham Gaol (used during the Rising and afterwards) and just find it fascinating.

6. sabrinakat

the bullet holes in the GPO:

upload_2016-3-23_17-24-42.jpeg

[​IMG]

7. sabrinakat

The words of Pearse (in 1915):

Our foes are strong and wise and wary; but, strong and wise and wary as they are, they cannot undo the miracles of God who ripens in the hearts of young men the seeds sown by the young men of a former generation. And the seeds sown by the young men of '65 and '67 are coming to their miraculous ripening today. Rulers and Defenders of the Realm had need to be wary if they would guard against such processes. Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations. The Defenders of this Realm have worked well in secret and in the open. They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but, the fools, the fools, the fools! – They have left us our ****** dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I like it.
    upload_2016-3-23_17-41-50.png

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. sabrinakat

Let them eat hot cross buns....?

Note the second headline, e.g. it's called a Rebellion at the time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. grumpydogwoman

There you go. I knew it would prove to be simple.

Those children in the photo look jolly chirpy to me. Doesn't look like a lot of suffering.

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hmmmmm no @racroesus

Thought he might have an opinion... come on Rac!

So the Easter Rising...

Brave nationalists striking out to claim their nation

Bad terrorists traitorously striking when a nation is at war

The first act in the 100 year long ongoing disintegration of the UK

Or something else?

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

To repeatedly single out a specific poster on this matter seems wrong to me @lanokia

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I disagree... I trust Racroesus and I'm genuinely interested in his viewpoint on this.

I only tagged him because the thread title isn't very obvious.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

He also has a taste for irony as it turns out ;):D

josienig and sabrinakat like this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It would be rude of me to ignore this thread any longer. For me the Easter Rising was an event. It happened at the time it did and was open to the various interpretations that have coalesced into a struggle to throw off the English yoke as perpetuated in the Protestant Ascendancy.
    My problem is where to start the timeline leading to Easter 1916. The working classes of both sides have been set at each other by the political cognoscenti on both sides: cannon-fodder for those desiring power or desiring to retain power. We didn't have Protestants until Henry VIII when many Church leaders in Ireland converted. We have had the English mainly since Henry II due to the invitation from a local king and the desire of Adrian IV and Alexander III to bring barbarous Irish Christianity under the red shoes.
    Today there is Northern Ireland and it has many Protestants and Roman Catholics who are happy that it is so. I don't really care that Michael Collins died because he supported the wrong deal in the view of his compatriots.

16. grumpydogwoman

That seems very unfeeling of you @racroesus!!! ;)

upload_2016-3-25_17-37-33.png

Is it me or does he have something of a young Nye Bevan about him?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He called it wrongly then, I've today's problems to worry about.
    I'm very poor at empathy.

18. grumpydogwoman

You and me both, big fella.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nye was Welsh, I think. The Welsh were happy to support Henry II's machinations. Now, I believe, they're Methodists.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think he looks like Ian Paisley.