1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your favourite year group?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Y5 for me, definitely.

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

3. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

reception

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

TWOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might find reception or year 1 are fab at some point, but having had year 5-11 and year 2, I KNOW year 2 are the best!

Especially when it comes to mock SATs marking! :)

6. Year 6 for me! Really enjoy it.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Y7 for me - I fear the day they'll pack them back off to secondary schools!

8. WHY?
    I loe what you can do with Y5. I love how independent they are. I love that they aren't interested in **** like stickers or your praise or approval, but when you get them where you want them, they're such a delight and it's really worth something. I can still remember the name of every child in my Y5 TP class and I still insist on updates via Facebook from various staff at the school. First class I properly cried when I said goodbye to. Most of them just laughed at me!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whereas I'm just a softeee who pretend otherwise, so love all the cuteness and fun of year 2. I love the play based learning and the sheer fun of it all. And the lack of hormones and nastiness. And the amount of progress. And just everything.

I was taking a year 6 SATs practice today and the mental test asked about prime numbers..I just thanked my lucky stars I don't have to teach anything so useless to life anymore!

10. I wish I was better with the littler ones! It was a Reception class that made me want to teach in the first place so it doesn't make sense that I feel this way! I love the IDEA of getting to teach things for the first time, of getting them before they're too cool for school, of all the play... But then the reality of 30 people who need a military strategy to change for PE hits me like a ton of manure and I run, screaming, back to KS2! Big respect for the teachers of littlies.

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Year 6
    They drive me to distraction with their hormones and the constant bickering and petty squabbles. But I still love their independence and awareness of their own developing "adult" personality. I love the way they career between being teenagers one day and babies the next! They are loud and brash yet still have an innocence and politeness that is lovely to see. They pull out all the stops when you ask them too, you can have an ( almost) grown up conversation with them one minute and play hide and seek the next!

The best thing is, though, that they leave at the end of the year![​IMG]

12. I totally hear this, CarrieV. If there were no SATs, I'd be there like a rat up a drainpipe. I have a few Y6s who drop into my classroom for an occasional chat at lunchtime and they're such a delight to talk to!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like year 6 for the chatter at lunch. And for the hour a week I have them for booster. And for the helping me out when I need responsible older children for jobs. And the sociability of them. But for all day every day I definitely like the little ones...they do better hugs as well.

AND you can be having a really bad day and have a huge, huge rant at them and send them off to afternoon play with fleas in ears, when a child will come up to you, hug you, and tell you that you are the best teacher in the world. Then of course you feel really guilty.

Actually I'm fairly tiddly so being a teacher is just fabulous right now and I could wax lyrical about the delights of any and every year group...

14. Hahahaha truuuue! My Y3s are obsessed with making me cards. It's getting a bit insane. I LOVE IT! Upper KS2 would, like, chuh, rather die? x

15. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

My favourite year have been year 1 (although never taught 6 or FS) It's great knowing that you are often teaching them something for the first time. They still get excited about the littlest thing, and most love to please.
    Having said that I used to love the year 6 annual trip. As not many people volunteered I got to go and the kids were great. It's great to see them out of their comfort zone. And they actually see you as human to and on the whole it's a laugh. (They get sarcasm which year 1's - not so much)

16. Year 1 is my favourite too. They are just that little bit more able than EY and come to you illiterate and innumerate and leave reading and writing. They are such a joy and their enthusiasm is endless. Upper primary have lost that love of learning.

17. Lost that love of learning in Year 5 and 6? Not true. I teach Science to Year 6 and I love the way that even the lower ability children will go home at the weekend and return with a Powerpoint on How Light Travels, without my even asking. And the challenge of teaching 30 Year 6 children is that at one end you've got pupils who are already talking about refraction and concave / convex lenses and at the other extreme, children only just discovering that you can use a mirror to see behind you! It's what makes science teaching at the Upper Primary phase so much fun. Then at the end of the lesson, you can always guarantee that two or three children will hold back in the classroom to ask questions about what they've learned and take down the names of good websites you might have shown them. Now THAT'S a thirst for knowledge, in a school with a higher than average proportion of children on free school meals!

18. I'd say it's the teacher & the teaching in this case. There's nothing like enthusiasm for the topic to get the kids interested. I had one of mine tell me about Archimedes and hydrostatic principle when we were investigating upthrust! I can still say I love Y6 even after 5 years of SATs.

19. Year 2!
    First year in KS1 this year and didn't expect to like it, but I love it and have asked to stay there next year! [​IMG]

20. Year 4, without a shadow of doubt