1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your favourite scary movie?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm doing a media unit with my year 10s exploring the horror movie genre.
    Out of interest, what's your favourite (i.e. which do you find the scariest?). What is that that makes it scary?

Just interested.
    Eva x x x

2. Eva_Smith

I'm doing a media unit with my year 10s exploring the horror movie genre.
    Out of interest, what's your favourite (i.e. which do you find the scariest?). What is that that makes it scary?

Just interested.
    Eva x x x

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Very little scares me, at my advanced age.
    Although not a 'horror' movie, "Duel" (very early Steven Speilberg) is a classic. Only the one main actor, and the tension goes on all the way through the film.

4. The scariest film I've ever seen is called The Vanishing (I think). It's a foreign language film. Nothing much happens: a couple stop at a motorway service station; she nips into the shop to buy something and never returns. He spends the rest of the film trying to establish what happened to her. You get the sense that it's something awful, but it just so happens that it taps into one of my phobias. (Trying not to give too much away, just in case you haven't seen it. It's all quite low key, no vampires or zombies or anything like that, but it's plausable, which makes it all the more terrifying.

5. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Do the Hannibal Lecter films count? In which I'd nominate 'Hannibal' - if only for the craniotomy scene.
    *Shiver*.

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Oh. You're right. Its a film I never wish to see again, it's that scary.
    I think there was an American remake of the same name.

7. The ones I enjoy the most are the Saw films (primarily the first, they get progressively worse) because I loved the twists. That bit at the end where they do a quick recap to the tense music and you realise its been really obvious all along.
    Scare wise, I found Paranormal Activity terrifying and it has actually had a lasting effect on me - I go to sleep with one eye on the door and often think I can see it moving.
    With that, it is because it is shot in that 'reality' way. The actors were incredibly good - very very realistic, and it didnt actually sound scripted alot of the time - I wonder if they were given an idea and just told to go with it because it didnt sound rehearsed. The night vision scenes had my friend and I with cushions over our heads. It captures the essence of the films that build up tension with nothing happening, and then when your on a knifes edge something ridiculously spooky happens - a door opens slowly, footprints appear...plus the bits where she just sits up in bed etc. I think its because ive never really been sure if I believe in the paranormal and have convinced myself that if I dont believe nothing will happen. When I start to believe, i panic.
    Then at the end when she flies at the camera I nearly poo'd myself.

8. Eva_Smith

I remember finding The Blair Witch Project really scary, but I watched it tonight to see if it was suitable to show to my year 10s as stimulus and didn't find it scary at all. Maybe once you've seen it an know what happens...?

9. I found it scary too Eva. Theyre the kind of films that If you watch it in a 'jokey' way with a loud group of mates its probably rubbish, but on your own it really draws you in and is just very very freaky.

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I can't say that any horror movie is my 'favourite' because I'm not really a fan of this genre. I find watching horror movies really stressful and I usually end up with nightmares for days.
    The one that scared me the most (and I'll probably get laughed at for this) was The Blair Witch Project. I watched it because of the hype, but made the mistake of watching it alone in the wee small hours. I was literally rooted to the spot for a good hour after the film ended, because I was too scared to move!
    For me, less is more in a really good scary movie. You don't see the horror or awfulness of what's happening, but you can imagine it.
    Other scary movies that have left their mark: 28 Days Later; The Shining; The Mist.

11. I hate horror films, because I get no enjoyment out of being scared. The ones that freak me (and I mean really freak me out, to the point that I can't cope with what is going on) out are the psychological films, such as Blair Witch.
    The most effective horror film I've seen is therefore The Strangers. I walked out of the cinema after 45 minutes because I was so terrified. I'd been mugged at knife point about 2 months earlier, and it brought it all back. I sat there with my scarf pulled up over my face until I realised that I could leave. So I did.
    Gore and blood don't bother me. I love zombie films. But psychological horror is awful.
    Mr D is in to his horror films, so I shall ask him and post his response tomorrow.

12. The Vanishing - it absolutely scared the c.rap out of me.
    And The Blair Witch Project - I was convinced after all the hype it wouldn't scare me - but like manashee, made the mistake of watching it alone in the wee hours.
    Not a good idea.

13. I thought the strangers started well and then just became rubbish - and ended really abruptly. Youd perhaps not have been so scared if you'd stayed till the end! hehe

14. I'm like others, I just find horror films very worrying. That said I didn't find Blair Witch at all scary.
    I've never dared watch Saw, I saw part of Hostel and I honestly thought I was going to throw up.
    The nastiest one is Human Centipede. I haven't seen it but made the mistake of googling it when a girl told me about it, I thought she was winding me up ...

15. I would have been a raving loony by that point! I was in tears I that scared. It was the lack of control, the fact that it was a random chance (they were home, we'd decided to walk home on a warm summer evening, rather than wait for the bus) and the suspense. I now avoid psychological horror at all costs because I can't cope with it. Mr D and I started watching 'My Little Eye' a couple of months ago, and I had to make him turn it off. I don't like surprises when I know they're bad.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In no particular order:

Carrie
    Psycho
    The Omen
    The Birds
    The Exorcist
    Don't Look Now
    Rosemary's Baby

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Just a wee word of warning in case you make the same mistake I did.
    Avoid Wolf Creek at all costs. Left me whimpering with fear and very stressed. Nasty film.

18. Mine too, superb. DOn't make the mistake of watching the hoolywood remake with Keifer Sutherland, it doesn't have the subtlety and suspense of the original. No gore, no paranormal, just fantastic.

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Don't Look Now - absolute genius.

20. I watched Buried the other day - I was expecting it to be absolutely awful but actually quite enjoyed it...to say the entire film is just a bloke in a box, it does do a good job of building up suspension. Saw the ending coming a mile off though!