1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your favourite sandwich?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by musings85, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Since I have started getting more enthusiastic about cooking and attempting new dishes I seem to have forgotten about the humble art of crafting a great sarnie.
    One of my favourites was to fry up some thinly sliced steak and onions whilst a baguette was baking in the oven. Just before baguette was ready I 'buttered' it with generous helpings of red onion marmalade. Then the contents of the frying pan (including those lovely juices from the steak) was poured into the baguette and a good stilton or blue cheese crumbled over the top before going back in the oven for a few minutes. Served up with salad and chips. Gorgeous.
    Over to you guys......

2. Since I have started getting more enthusiastic about cooking and attempting new dishes I seem to have forgotten about the humble art of crafting a great sarnie.
    One of my favourites was to fry up some thinly sliced steak and onions whilst a baguette was baking in the oven. Just before baguette was ready I 'buttered' it with generous helpings of red onion marmalade. Then the contents of the frying pan (including those lovely juices from the steak) was poured into the baguette and a good stilton or blue cheese crumbled over the top before going back in the oven for a few minutes. Served up with salad and chips. Gorgeous.
    Over to you guys......

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Fried egg (runny yolk), bacon and brown sauce on white bread.
    Mettwurst/Teewurst on sourdough.
    Stuffing sandwiches (a must for Boxing Day)
    Salami on Pumpernickel.
    Banana, bacon and peanut butter (in a Breville toastie)
    Curried mince (in a toastie)

Cheese on toast!!![​IMG]...with pickle!

4. I'm afraid its the cheese and pickle ones made by a well-known sandwich chain. Its the pickle that does it for me. Their falafel ones are good too.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Leftover slow roasted pork shoulder (with some of the crackling), watercress, beetroot, sliced roast potato and english mustard on thickly buttered fresh white bread.

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Sounds very nice, muse. I'm glad you had the salad separately, I loathe the ubiquitous ready-made sandwiches with lettuce in them, making the bread soggy. Whatever people see in the BLT completely eludes me.
    I don't know I have a specific favourite, it depends on the mood I'm in. Sometime a bacon sandwich hits the spot, other times cheese and tomato or pickled onion works a treat but I'm particularly partial to fried liver sandwiches.

7. Sounds divine!
    Another one of my favourites is the simple leftover roast turkey with lashings of home-made apple sauce on a floury white bap.

8. Not really a fan of cold sandwiches (worst sandwich would be egg mayo [​IMG])
    Salmon and dill sauce is nice that's if you can even buy dill sauce anymore. Boo to Tescos.

9. Chicken and avocado with aioli.
    A steak sandwich with the lot, (fried onion, bacon, egg, steak, beetroot, letuce, tomato, cheese, chilli sauce)
    Cream cheese, tomato and mint
    Cream cheese, tomato and spring onion.
    Cheese tomato and spring onion.
    Roast beef, horseradish and lettuce.

10. Egg with salad cream not mayo
    Roast turkey, stuffing, bread sauce and cranberry sauce
    Rare roast beef.horseradish and watercress
    Chicken and avocado
    Bacon and egg ( egg must be runny and drip off your chin)
    Marmalade

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Avocado and bacon in granary bread
    Steak with Maille Dijon Nustard in focaccia
    A vegetarian version of the above with a garlicky, buttery, baked field mushroom.
    Sausage and brown sauce, crusty white bread or a floury bap
    Bacon and egg, plastic white bread, butter.
    Good, thick cut ham, with butter and a smear of Colemans in a crusty cob or baguette
    A plain old-fashioned lettuce sandwich, made with soft floppy lettuce, plenty of black pepper, butter and white bread
    Cucumber, thin cut brown bread, butter, crusts cut off.
    Chip butty. Hot chips, plastic white bread, too much butter, mearest hint of ketchup.

12. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

**smutty snigger**

13. Bacon in well buttered white bread with tomato ketchup (although now it's a gluten free sandwich, it has to be toasted)
    Homemade coronation chicken and watercress with a bit of coriander
    Cold pink roast beef, English mustard and not quite ripe tomatoes
    Pineapple cottage cheese and tomato - got to be on 'nutty' brown bread-doesn't work on white
    Cheese and tomato toastie
    Chicken liver pate, watercress and mango chutney
    Ham, mayo and lettuce
    Smoked salmon with loads of lemon and black pepper 'buttered' with cream cheese

14. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My favourite just-me dinner is half a good ciabatta, sliced lengthwise, spread with fresh pesto and toasted lightly in the oven, then jam packed with griddled mushrooms, peppers and baby plum tomatoes, topped with goats' cheese and returned to the oven until the cheese bubbles. Then I jam on the top of the bread, hack it into slices and serve it with a mixed leaf salad. It is ridiculous how much I enjoy this sandwich! Sometimes I substitute brie or feta, depending on the contents of my fridge.

15. Cheese, then salted peanuts, sultanas and celery mixed with mayo (on granary bread)

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Si, that's the second thread you've won in as many days, in my eyes.
    I'm 'aving that for lunch tomozza!
    Anyone who makes a generous sandwich is a fine person all round, as far as I'm concerned

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Wow! Unconventional, but taking no prisoners either. I like it.

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Cheese & onion for me.

19. Is very nice and I can't take credit for the combination as it belongs to a sandwich shop where I used to live!

20. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Si, that's the second thread you've won in as many days, in my eyes.
    I'm 'aving that for lunch tomozza!
    Anyone who makes a generous sandwich is a fine person all round, as far as I'm concerned
    If you serve this sarnie topless (oo-er...what I meant was without the top half of the bread), it is lighter and in our house is caled ciabatta pizza. It is best with a good chevre, but I often use those little Capricorn goats' cheeses as I like the fact that one of their goats has the same name as my grannie. And what other reason do you need for your selection of cheese?
    Do report back, nick and tell me how good your sandwich was (am I sounding cocky?)
    Dammit, I wish I had some goats cheese and ciabatta in the house now, you've fair put me in the mood for it.