1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your favourite pizza topping?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Homemade pizza tonight and as ever it has to be a big enough one so that all 4 of us can top our bit as we like [​IMG]
    I am being fairly traditional with my bit tonight - ham, tuna fish and sweetcorn.
    Although I actually really love a simple topping of pesto and mozzarella cheese.

2. To order in: Spicy pepperoni, bacon and loads of sweetcorn (with hot juicy pineapple on my half)! Yum! Pizza, wine and American Idol have kinda been a tradition with us for years!
    To eat out: Pizza Express are doing the Theo Randall ones now and they are really very good, lots of tasty fresh ingredients...
    To make my own: I get a plain margherita, then halve lots of cherry tomatoes and a good shake of oregano... simple and unbeatable flavours. Or else see whatever I've got in the fridge - usually some pancetta cubes and a generous shake of parmesan, which is really tasty too...

3. Cheat - we make the dough ourselves [​IMG]
    Although I am just teasing - sometimes I buy a magherita for quickness and we will add some extra toppings.
    I have never been to Pizza Express.
    (never heard of Theo Randall either)

4. Mushrooms fried with garlic and thyme (a la Jamie Oliver), mozzarella and parma ham all on a homemade tomato and basil sauce.
    Yum

5. Yum indeed!

6. Theo Randall is the head chef at the Intercontinental Hotel in Park Lane where they do Italian food to ie for- the best mozarella outside an Italian buffalo farm I once stayed on. So my fave is his favorita from Pizza Express. The company made a great CD of him developing the recipe and testing it which I use in my food tech pizza design lessons. I am also keen on their Soho Pizza which also has salad leaves on top. Most bread disagrees with me( it seems to be the yeast even if I make from scratch) so I buy their Pizza Express Margaritas in Sainsburys and add to them- bacon bits and mushroom is good.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love garlic-prawn and pineapple on my pizza!
    Sometimes I do a scone base, which is nice with extra tomatoey topping and peppers.

8. sweetcorn and pineapple. dead traditional.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

South seas topping from Gino's my local Italian Pizzeria. Delicious, freshly made pizza base, tomato sauce and mozzarella, then ham, sweetcorn, green peppers, pineapple and peaches, only £4.90 for a 9" pizza.

10. I love cherry tomatoes, goats cheese, pesto and basil.
    Husband loves (wait for it, wait for it...) hot jalapeno peppers, roasted veg, anchovies and salami.
    And he wonders why he gets indegestion... [​IMG]

11. Ahem, indigestion.
    I blame that cheap Rioja from the Co-p. [​IMG]

12. random favourites include; thinly sliced courgettes, aubergine, red onion, mushrooms and a little goats cheese.

13. <h4>Goat's cheese, caramelised red onion and olives is a firm favourite, although easily the best pizza I've ever had was a margherita at this mad little family-run place in Naples. The food was delicious and eating while having a small child throw a beach ball at you was...interesting.
    </h4>

14. yesterday I had a using up leftovers session - left over dough was growng alarmingly quickly even in the fridge - so in the absence of any tomatoes had pesto, ricotta and pinenuts, which I can definitley recommend. However, favourite would be close to emmapax's husband, roasted veg, including plenty of aubergine, chilli, salami and a mixture of mozerrella and goat's cheese.

15. tuna, garlic and onion, or veggie but definitely no aubergine, can't stand the stuff. The key to it is good cheese and a nice thin base in my book. Favourite thing about pizza has to be the nice little cabbage salad you get with it in Sweden, simply called 'Pizza sallad'. I've got a good recipe for it but it's never quite the same as the Swedes do it.

16. I am intrigued, as in all the countries I have been to or lived in, Sweden comes bottom. Everything there was dire. What salad are you on about?

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

If you haven't got tomatoes, a caramelised onion mixture does very well. In fact there is a pizza called Pizza Blanco or White Pizza. Many different recipes around but I finely chop a large onion-Spanish is best, and soften it in butter with a crushed garlic clove on a very low heat, maybe 30 mins. Put onto the pizza base, now top with some grated white cheese and bake.

18. I'm with you really. I had a good time there but it was unlike anything else I've ever experienced as Ilived in the north miles from civilisation! However, pizza sallad is just white cabbage, oilive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper but somehow they make it taste fantastic (though many pizzerias in Sweden are run by immigrant families so perhaps it originates elsewhere. Not completely unlike Sauerkraut but not really sauer as it's a fresh salad. Otherwise, Swedish food leaves me completely cold.

19. A bit like coleslaw without the carrot?
    Anyway, nobody served me it in Sweden [​IMG]
    (honestly, the food there really was so dire)

20. Kind of... just no mayo or anything which is probably why I like it because I despise mayo! It's really fresh tasting.
    Swedish food really is rubbish. Where were you? I can remember arguing with a friend who claimed that England didn't make any proper sausages whilst he had a horrible hot dog sausage in his hand....
    I'll try most things (though won't guarantee to eat it a second time!) but when I was served 'Paelt' and discoverd it was basically bread soaked in blood, fried and with a load of crispy, streaky bacon on top I had the draw the line.