1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What’s Your Favourite Map Projection?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Apr 7, 2020.

1. WB

WB Senior commenter

Bit of a niche question so I’m not sure I’ll get any responses.

I’ve always loved looking at maps. Some of my happiest memories are sitting down with my dad looking at a Collins children’s atlas with Neil Diamond’s Greatest Hits playing in the background and my dad teaching me the names and location of continents and oceans.

Quite often when my wife is watching Emmerdale I take my self off around the world looking islands in the Pacific and long chains of meanders and ox-box lakes in Russia on Google Earth.

Projections fascinate me. I’m in awe of the intellectual capacity of the human mind to produce such beautiful and precise things.

Been browsing this site today:

https://brilliantmaps.com/xkcd/

I love the Robinson projection. It’s a work of art, a work of beauty, a work of simplicity and a work of science.

Robinson_projection.jpg

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

That is rather lovely.

Edit: I have discovered that the projection I have on the wall of the spare bedroom is a Plat Carree. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Jamvic, nomad and WB like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Reece - eat your heart out mate.

monicabilongame, Jamvic and WB like this.
  4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

:D:D:D:D

Jamvic likes this.
  5. WB

WB Senior commenter

Just read up on this.
    Never heard of it before - showed Antarctica in 1513!

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I thought this might be an "ironic" thread to distract us from the blanket bad news.
    I do like that one, WB. I can do without politically-based mangling.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Oh dear! Do I have to confess to being a map nerd? I like OS maps, I have loads. I'm waiting for one to be delivered. I use the 1:25000 scale ones for walking (Have all the North Wales ones and more). I also have many 1:50000 series ones, and a few "old" one inch ones. I'd rather work out where I am going on a map than use the satnav in the car (which I have used once I think). Sorry, nerd alert!

8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

'North' and 'South' and 'up' and 'down' are eurocentric concepts when it comes to cartography. There's an Australocentric alternative.

[​IMG]

Grandsire, Jamvic, nomad and 2 others like this.
  9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

One of my third year courses at university was historical cartography. I loved North American Indian strip maps, portolan charts and possibly my favourite- The Catalan Chart. Maps are wonderous things!

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh, and Wainwrights have to be my absolute favourite books- books with maps, what more could you ask for!

Jamvic and chelsea2 like this.
  11. WB

WB Senior commenter

I would loved to have studied historical maps.

I'd image you'd learm so much more about history and thinking than just the history of maps.

HistoryEducator and Jamvic like this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

A thread after my own heart!

I love maps. I remember getting a very large atlas one Christmas Day, and while everyone else was watching inane Christmas TV drivel, I spent the afternoon just looking through the atlas.

I collected stamps as a child and learned countries and capitals from the stamp album, which I then just had to find in an atlas.

I have a box of OS maps in my car - it stays there, because you never know when you'll need a 1960s 1 inch to a mile map of Tiree!! Some maps are in tatters, either because they have got rather damp when in use, or because they have been used so much they have split at the creases.Many have lost their covers, too, so it can be a bit of a guessing game when searching for a particular map. The local OS maps are covered in orange lines, where I have gone over the footpaths & bridleways which I have walked.

I could go on........;)

13. WB

WB Senior commenter

Please do!

Just found this little gem: transverse_plate_carr$C3$A9e-map.png

Jamvic, rosievoice, burajda and 2 others like this.
  14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I will admit to having a bookcase just for maps- mainly the Explorer series of OS maps but also map books, guide books, wainwright’s and just about anything map related. Whenever a member of the family wants to visit anywhere, I just pop upstairs for a map!

Jamvic, chelsea2 and WB like this.
  15. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh, just remembered. My hero, John Speed

Jamvic, WB and chelsea2 like this.
  16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

We have an enlarged copy of his town map displayed in our railway station. For the discerning, it's the first thing they see when they come through the ticket barrier. Fascinating to look at the layout then and how so much still exists now.

Jamvic and WB like this.
  17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Whenever I'm going somewhere new, maps & guidebooks are my first purchase.

boatie, Jamvic, WB and 1 other person like this.
  18. WB

WB Senior commenter

My dad has a John Speed map of Wales hanging in his living room back home. It's been there since before I was born.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Another map lover here. I to can spend hours reading a map .

Jamvic and WB like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Precisely the mangling I referred to.
    There's been a programme on PBS or Smithsonian or something about the history of cartography, a subject I had zero interest in before but now find quite absorbing.

Jamvic and WB like this.