1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your fashion faux pas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xmal, Sep 12, 2019.

1. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

I've never had a mullet or a shell suit (despite being of a certain age) but in the late 80s I did go very baggy and flairy. So here I go, pastel coloured Clark's Wallabies and sandals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I'm a guy.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I did go through a shellsuit phase... to my everlasting shame!

3. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Rod Stewart haircuts. Don’t ask me why. Never intended for them to happen, but don’t like hair falling in my face and getting in the way.
    The lurex, tartan Bowie type trousers. I think I tried to do everything with my hands in the cool slash effect side pockets. The knicker bockers with frilled blouse. What was I thinking? The red, tartan, Diana- type dress. That was a new low. Actually, pretty much everything till I settled down to jeans and a shirt.

I do like the sandals @xmal, but @lanokia, I would never have believed it from the way you come across in your posts.

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

images (2)-100x77.jpeg

nomad likes this.
  5. primarycat

Turquoise rara skirt with fuschia ruffled top. Aged around 13 or so. I was saved by goth.

caress, blue451 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Henna, and goth tassled skirts. And Dewberry perfume from The Bodyshop.

caress likes this.
  7. primarycat

Mr PC jumped off the stairs while listening to the theme from S Express, hit his head very hard on a doorway and went straight out to buy baggy denim dungarees.

xmal, coffeekid and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yeh I did the swashbuckling knickerbockers and flouncy blouse too. Floorsweeper cheesecloth dress and Jesus sandals, little ribbon plaits in my hair. Trousers with 3 button waistbands and yard-wide legs, teamed with cork- platform wedges.
    And the shaggy perm.
    Every decade its own disaster.

caress likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@Aquamarina1234 - I bought a massive pair of flared jeans recently. Teaming them up with... cork platform wedges!
    Fashion's a cycle.

10. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

Me too, I'm afraid.

towncryer likes this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, the shaggy perm, the floor sweeping dress, the three button wide leg trousers and platform boots.

I went further and had a black floor length pvc mac, which I wore open, with a very short skirt underneath. I had a pair of pale blue and a pair of baby pink knee high platform boots.

There’s a photo somewhere.

coffeekid and caress like this.
  12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The Sandie Shaw mini dress with bloomers, the shaggy perm, the shoulder pads.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I once owned a white suit. I hoped it would make me look like a much taller Tom Wolfe.
    And it did. It made me look like a tall Tom Wolfe with cigarette ash and wine stains on his new white suit. It was extraordinary how quickly and how dirty that thing could get.

bumchuckle and primarycat like this.
  14. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I don’t think of them as faux pas, they were very on trend. I particularly recall the RaRa skirt, Pencil skirt and cameo broach at the throat, side pony and acid perm. I am glad to say I married late enough so that I avoided the meringue dress.

caress likes this.
  15. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

Yep, I did the knickerbockers and frilled shirt too, with a sash (which I lost at a Human League gig in 1981). Very unfortunately, the outfit was bought to wear at my sister's wedding, so photographic evidence abounds!

caress likes this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I adored my shaggy, blonde perm! I want it to come back in fashion. But I'll ditch the electric blue mascara and fuchsia lipstick. :)

knitone and primarycat like this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The punctuation police will have you for being louche, mind.

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Tank top, two tone trousers and cream platform shoes back in the 70’s.

19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My mother was too sensible to let me indulge in any of the fashions of the time when I was a kid (shell suits, the wet-look perm). Instead she created my own personal fashion nightmare by insisting that me and my sisters were dressed identically in dresses made by an auntie, usually using a pattern she’d had since she was a kid and using what I suspect were the offcuts from some chintzy curtain fabric from the 70s. Think puff sleeves, dropped waist, garish flowery patterns finished with an massive satin bow placed somewhere for maximum unflattering effect. She might have thought it cute to have her kids dressed the same, but to me, being expected to dress the same as a four year old when I was FOURTEEN was nothing short of torture. The only thing that saved me was developing boobs and no longer fitting the children’s pattern. But the photos still haunt me.

knitone, bonxie, caress and 4 others like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A cameo choker! A cheap plastic brooch sewn onto a piece of black velvet ribbon. Like ponchos, everyone's Gran made them for you! Cheap and quick!

bonxie and towncryer like this.