1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What’s your definition of ‘homely’?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Sep 20, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

This is mine:
    [​IMG]

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I think it involves a real fire and probably home made soup with warm, home made cheese scones. Cats and husband too, and maybe the pleasing thought that I will have nothing to do tomorrow.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A house full of hairy hounds, a log burner or real fire, lots of books and a large glass of red wine.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I thought you meant homely as in not very good looking...

6. BertieBassett2

Oh, of course! That might be another thread....

nizebaby and agathamorse like this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Cocker Spaniels, open fire, Kindle with a good murder mystery, something nice in a glass.

(....and I don't mean my teeth!!:eek:):)

8. BertieBassett2

Loool! Now that's an image...

Dragonlady30 and agathamorse like this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Me too! I was going to say........... ME!

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"I was the only one who offered to carry your books.."

11. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

My bed and a good book ( I may summon Alophonse at some point to bring me a nice cup o' tea).

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

That's what I thought. Homely can be offset by beautiful eyes, of course. And homeliness is not the same as unattractive.

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've never heard the word used in any other context.

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Homely is a kind word for plain, and why not?

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm wondering when the term "Homely" entered our vocabulary. It suggests it isn't home, but might at a pinch be a bit like it, so who would want to call somewhere homely, other than someone flogging somewhere to stay when you need a bed to sleep in other than the one in your home?

We have a dog and a cat that are part of our home. We all get on fine now that we've been able to train them to behave in a maner acceptable to us, but would we feel another place to be homely if it had dogs and cats that hadn't been trained to not overstay their welcome on our laps or bark and miew incessantly to destroy what we imagine to be an homely environment?

What about the fish? My sweetheart has at least five fish tanks at the last count. There were until I put my foot down over the cost of maintaining them and the time taken out of my life, driving her hither and thither to get the various filters, heaters and goodness knows what else each tank needs.

It's a luxury not to be at home sometimes.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Homely means plain in a nice way.

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Bur I know that meanings change. When I was young, homely never meant cosy.

18. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I only know homely to mean cosy.
    I feel homely when it’s snowing outside. School is closed and I can look out the window with a blanket over me, the kitties lying on/near me, and like BS says, a nice glass of red wine.
    The other thing that makes me feel really homely is a Christmas tree with the lights twinkling and Carols from Kings on.
    (94 sleeps, just saying...)

BertieBassett2 and towncryer like this.
  19. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I always thought homely meant cosy and welcoming in the English sense but unfortunate looking in the American sense...just one of those American/English language quirks...like pants.

20. BertieBassett2

When I posted this, I wasn’t thinking of the ‘other’ meaning of homely- I should have known that some TESSERs would put me right....!

towncryer likes this.