1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's your cut off time?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by susiec08, Sep 4, 2011.

1. A question for the more experienced supply teachers -
    At what point do you change out of your work clothes and make a cup of tea?
    This is a new thing for me (as with many NQT's this year!) and I can't stand the thought of waiting araound for too long before deciding I'm not going to get a call.
    What would be a reasonable time to stop waiting and get on with the rest of the day?
    Thanks
    susie

2. A question for the more experienced supply teachers -
    At what point do you change out of your work clothes and make a cup of tea?
    This is a new thing for me (as with many NQT's this year!) and I can't stand the thought of waiting araound for too long before deciding I'm not going to get a call.
    What would be a reasonable time to stop waiting and get on with the rest of the day?
    Thanks
    susie

3. I don't actually put work clothes on until I get the call .... just takes a couple of minutes to change of of jeans etc.

4. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

In my experience, the agency will ring up til about 1030. The calls up to 0930 are get there asap. The ones i've had up to 1030 are for the afternoon. Even I have made sure i'm reasonably dressed when popping out to the shops. My agency called me once at 1150 on the off chance I could get to the school which is a 5 minute walk from me for the afternoon session, so I did and they really appreciated that. It was a one off mind you.

Good Luck!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I generally assume I'm not working and dress for 'home' but have 'teaching stuff ready to hand , bags packed etc.

6. I'm usually up, showered, fed and dressed by 7.30am. If I don't get a call by 9am then I relax a bit and might even go back to bed for a nap if I haven't slept well.
    I've been lucky in that all of my previous supply work was pre-booked the day before, apart from one day when I got a call at 8.15am to go into a school about 10 miles away.
    Like Lara, I have my teaching stuff and bags packed ready to go when needed.

7. My cut off time is usually as soon as agencies and schools have opened. [​IMG]

8. 8.30 for a morning. Have had a call as late as 12.40 for the afternoon but it was a desperate favour for a nearish school as the booked teacher had gone and found her car wouldn't start!

9. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I change into my work clothes when i get the call. Im usually up pottering about though with tea. I make sure all my stuff including lunch is prepared the night before.
    My cut off time is 8.40 as I dont drive and I often get after noon calls which I expect from 11-12.30 midday.
    I spent the last half of last year in full time supply, not looking forward to the early morning call thing again. :(

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I 'stand down' about 9:30 as a general rule, but calls for the afternoon have occasionally come in after that.

11. Thanks for all your replies, they've been very helpful.