1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with shipping containers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I don't understand what the issue is with being housed in shipping containers. Clean, dry self contained shelter with toilet, shower and cooking faciities, so much better than a hostel, a shared kitchen, a shared toilet, a damp basement, an emergency shelter, a short term bnb, or sleeping rough. A good solution, I would have thought, I don't understand why the media fuss bout housing people in shipping containers.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Move into one then.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I seem to remember that there was a programme with Kevin McCloud (?) a few years back which hailed blocks of flats made from shipping containers as the way forward for those who couldn't get onto the housing ladder in any other way.
    It may be that longer term they are not suitable, I can imagine they would be hard to keep warm for example, but thye must be some improvement on a hostel?
    A year or so ago I had to visit a client who lived in a static home. It was small, but otherwise very pleasant and I could imagine being in one myself, which surprised me slightly as I have never fancied a caravan holiday. I suppose that was my ignorance. If anyone knows of issues with shipping container homes, I would be interested to hear them.

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

No windows, cold in winter, hot in summer - in no-way are they a home.

Imagine that great, big door closing every night:(

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

[​IMG]

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

They don't just stick people in any old container, I wouldn't have thought. The ones I've slept in have been converted. Windows are put in and the doors altered. They use them onsite at some of the horse events I work at.

nomad, agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It did seem a bit odd when for the last few years they have been pushed as cool and trendy places to live, then suddenly they are the worst of the worst. A case of The Emperors New Clothes perhaps.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Building Amazing Homes & Mobile Spaces Using Shipping Containers!

9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Beat me to it. They are an ingenious solution just like the pre-fabs of latter day but they are not a substitute for a properly insulated building. I don't know how much insulation they put in but it cannot be much because there is so little space to deal with.

I have to say they don't look bad from the outside. I am not fully convinced how weather tight they are though. I would prefer to see a pitched roof on top. Plus metal buildings do accumulate lots of condensation.

This mirrors the tower blocks of the 1960s/70s. They looked impressive and had all mod cons (which was a huge plus) but they had no real insulation value and became horrors to heat.

This may work in a hot, dry climate but in a colder, wet climate like the UK it is much more problematic.

10. Corvuscorax

Why?

11. Corvuscorax

what is the temperature control like inside?

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

The pictures @LondonCanary has posted look as if insulation is inside the rooms. These days there are products which give big insulation for very little space - alutherma is one, and it alledgedly offers 12 times the insulation value of 40cm of trad fibreglass in 3mm - so they might be warm.
    I think the point about the roof is valid, and it would surely be possible to do something like that easily? If they're in blocks, then only the top one would need a roof.

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  13. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

It had heaters - so toasty in the one I was in in March. The one I was in last summer was unbearably hot during the day but so was my house at home. And I wasn't in it during the day.

agathamorse and harsh-but-fair like this.
  14. Corvuscorax

They certainly look like a much better alternative to some of the places I have lived in the past, and lots of the places I know of other people currently living

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Corvuscorax

I don't think you have ever been in a shipping container!

16. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

The population of the country is the highest it has ever been and there simply is not enough housing to go around particularly free housing. While shipping containers clearly are not ideal, as others have pointed out, they are better than some damp and overcrowded houses/B and Bs.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They are also safer if you can bolt the door. That has to be worth a lot.

You don't need to worry about your stuff so much or about being moved on or being harassed. You can keep your stuff dry. I assume you can take your dog with you and it's better for your dog too.

I'd rather that than share a hostel, I think. I'd feel safer.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They are fine in the short term but there are inherent problems with a household living in them. People who have been evicted when their landlord wants to sell up have lots of possessions. Where do those go in narrow shipping containers no wider than a lorry?
    They are very hot in summer. Some residents risk sleeping in the metal gantries on hot nights.
    It must be difficult with children.
    I was thinking that Miss jubilee would have been happy enough in one when saving up for a flat in London. She"d have been out of the 'house' from 7am until at least 6pm each weekday. Then I clicked the rent charged ...£271 per week! That's high even if utilities are included. I don't know if they are. They only cost £35k to be converted into habitable units.

phlogiston and smoothnewt like this.
  19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

People have been evicted from them for rent arrears, especially when Housing Benefit does not cover all of the £271 per WEEK rent.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

There was a news item on TV about this in the week. It was profoundly depressing. It featured whole families trying to "live" in them. Absolutely no room for storage; total overcrowding; too hot in summer and too cold in winter. That said, the population has increased by over 6 million since free movement of people was introduced. House building has not increased to meet the need. The pressure on housing is acute, as we know, so this is one way of keeping people off the streets at least. That's about the best that can be said for it.

agathamorse likes this.